2013-04-02

Little Things

Again, with the little things.  Hey, I'm short, okay?

But, seriously, have you ever noticed how it's always little things that make (or sometimes break) your day?  I hear all the time that "something as simple as a smile can make someone's day."  Yes, that's true.  But it often takes more than a smile because that can be pasted.  (Guilty.)  So I like to do more.

 Take this morning, for instance.  Our elevator lobby has 4 elevators serving 10 floors, a touch screen on the ground level to choose which floor you're going to, and an algorithm as sensible as the Harlem Shake.  The lady ahead of me in the lobby kept tapping the screen for the 7th floor, but it just would not recognize it.  I could see it was because she still had her gloves on, so I offered to press it for her.

May not seem like much, but I felt like it gave me a good start to the day.

Then I saw a lot of openings at a particular company, so I forwarded them on to a casual acquaintance who has been un/der employed for nearly a year.  I acknowledged they might not be exactly what/where he was looking for (they were all about an hour away), but he appreciated the head's up. 

Oooh, wow.  A 3-sentence facebook message.  (Literally.  I counted them.)  But the act was something that makes me feel justified in saying "I helped someone today."

What little things do you like doing to help people? 
To make them feel special?

P.S. I was rewarded for these good deeds, in the form of free books!

1 comment:

Mrs. Teacher said...

I try to compliment people. I think of something genuinely nice to say about them, especially my students as they walk into my classroom. Makes me AND them feel nice :)