2013-11-18

It's Been One Week

No, this isn't about the Barenaked Ladies song.
Nor has it actually been a full week.

But I have already had a faith-promoting experience at my new job. 
That's right; I have another new job, not that seasonal telemarketing one.
Let's see, today is Monday.  Last Tuesday, I woke up too depressed to go to work first thing, so decided I would go in 2 hours late and make up the time on Wednesday.  (A very important thing I've learned about myself is that I need others to depend on me when I'm depressed, or I don't do much.)  Long story short, I remembered about a job a friend had told me about, went down to the library and applied.  Within an hour, I got a call asking for an interview the next day, Wednesday.
Wednesday, I interviewed and was hired on the spot.  Arrangements were made for me to start on Saturday, but they called me that afternoon and asked if I wanted to start that evening.

Oh, right.  The job description.  In simple terms, I'm a nanny for seniors. In reality, I'm expected to go into their homes and help them maintain a sense of dignity and independence.

Last night, the man I was attending has pleasant dementia.  The first hour or two after I put him to bed, he would wake up periodically and question where he was and if he was in the right place.  Each time, I would go in and respond with gentle understanding, often calling him by name.  I assured him that he was in the right place, he was right where he was supposed to be, and that everything was as it should be.  Because I knew he would forget what I had told him, or doubt not because he doubted me but his circumstances, I remained patient with him.

At one point, this gentleman asked me, after I had taken hold of his hand and told him he was in the right place, "How can I be sure?"
Without even thinking about it, I smiled and told him, "You'll just have to trust me."
He said, "Okay," let go of my hand, and turned over to go fall back asleep.
I quietly turned, walked out of the room and saw a wooden sign above the sink in his kitchen that said, "Be still and know that I am God."

That's when I made the connection that all of God's children act this way periodically.  We question where we are in life, and whether or not it's the right place.  God will take us by the hand and quietly reassure us by name, knowing that we will likely forget and ask again.  I began to get a glimpse of understanding of God's patience with His children and am grateful for His patience with me, especially this past month as I've been questioning whether or not I've been working the job He wanted me to be working.

1 comment:

Mrs. Teacher said...

This post gave me goosebumps!