2013-04-16

Someday, Your Orange Juice Will Come

I wanted my 200th post (this one) to be something spectacular.
I also wanted to keep with my goal of every 5th post being one of my specialities.  (Liner Notes, What I've Learned, That Girl, Mix Tapes)

But I'm feeling an urge to share something that's been rolling around my head for a while.

Picture this: you're at a nice little diner downtown, waiting for your friend to meet you for breakfast.  The waitress comes over and asks, "Can I startcha off with somethin to drink?"
"Uh, yes.  I'll have some orange juice, please."
"Oh, I'm sorry, hun," she says with genuine sympathy.  "We're fresh out.  We got apple and cranberry, though."

What do you do? 
Do you settle for water or one of the other juices? 
Or do you try again?
"But I would really like some orange juice this morning."
"I wish I could getcha some, but we just don't have any today."  She's a little confused, since she just told you they were out.  Still, she's nice, and tells you, "We should be gettin' some more in tomorrow, though."

What do you do?
Do you offer to pay more than the asking price?
Or do you finally accept that there just isn't any orange juice? 

Either way, you make your choice, and the waitress walks away.  Your friend arrives, and you lament your lack of orange juice.  Your friend expresses sympathy and tells you, "Just ask for some when she comes back.  It's on the menu.  You should be able to get some."

Doesn't your friend get it?  Yes, it's on the menu.  Yes, you have asked for it.  The waitress even wanted to bring you orange juice.  You know your friend means well, but there just isn't any orange juice in the kitchen today.  Your best hope for getting some would be to come back the next day and try again.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
That's what it's like for someone with depression when someone tells them to choose happiness, as though it were as simple as that.  When it comes to happiness, you know you want it, you know it's out there, you may have even tasted it before.  But when you have depression, happiness sometimes just isn't available.  Repeatedly looking for something you know isn't there only frustrates and aggravates the situation.  The best you can do is let it go, choose the next best thing, and try again the next day.

But always come back because maybe tomorrow, maybe the next day, the delivery will have been made and the kitchen will finally have orange juice.  Someday, your orange juice will come, but you'll only know when that day comes if you ask for it.  Increase that chance by asking for it every day, and don't get discouraged if today's not the day.

3 comments:

KB {Tragic and Lovely} said...

Very sweet and encouraging!

Ashley said...

Hi!

This is very useful analogy really illustrates that depression is not a choice and that it's totally ignorant to think that it is.

-Ashley

R's Rue said...

Thank you for this post!
www.rsrue.blogspot.com
Lets just say I understand!