Months ago, I made plans to drive to Wisconsin for my high school reunion. (My 40th, if you can believe it! Ha!) Getting fired didn't change that, in part because I had already paid for some things that I would be doing that weekend. In other part because going home usually comes out a wash, financially, thanks to my mom's generosity. (I've learned to walk the fine line between protesting and fighting gift horses.)
As I was packing Wednesday, I found myself trying to think of reasons to not leave Wednesday night and see Iowa as it was meant to be seen: in the dark. Er...uh...under the stars. Being unable to find any, I left as soon as my car was packed and my phone was charged.
I, of course, made a few sleep stops. Which I realized was not a good idea with such new lube on Nuella's chain. Front seat it was for the other stops.
![]() |
| Sunrise on the left, eerie windmill on the right. |
Even though it was kind of out of the way, I wanted to go to the temple in Chicago. It was either there, Nauvoo, or St. Paul. I hadn't been inside Chicago, and anticipate seeing inside the St. Paul on future summer sister trips*.
Because of that choice, I stopped at a Cedar County rest stop in Iowa, where I learned that quilts were used as a means of communication within the Underground Railroad. I have a friend who is really big into quilting, so I took tons of pictures.
![]() |
| There were 12 quilt patterns featured. |
I got to the temple in Chicago just in time to do some family names at the 2:00 session; I got out around 4:00. This is when I began to realize I had created a bit of a problem for myself. Especially because I was going to take pictures, come hell or high traffic. Add that to construction that left me at a stand-still long enough to read an entire chapter out of a book a few sentences/paragraphs at a time, and I barely made it out of there by 6:00.
Here are some of the best pictures I took. All in all, I'm pleased with my decision, but if I had it to do over again, I'd just stay and participate in the 4:00 session.
![]() |
| The water-based landscaping. |
![]() |
| Lots of steeples! I think there are 5 or 6 total. |
![]() |
| Miscellaneous shots. |
![]() |
| You can't really see it, but the stone behind me in the picture says "Erected 1985," which was the year I was born. |






1 comment:
Great pictures! :)
I nominated you for the Liebster Award, just so you know...
http://tragicandlovely.blogspot.com/2013/08/liebster-award.html
Post a Comment