2013-12-11

2014: Year of the Book

2013: Year of Rote Memorization is coming to a close, and I'll wrap that up real quickly in saying that I memorized about one third of what I hoped to.  I got the important stuff, though.

However, this means that 2014 is creeping in, and I've thought about what I want my goals/theme to be for the year.  I've decided on books.  Mostly because I've been obsessed with buying them lately (the goodreads app on my phone really helps both foster and check this obsession). But, also because I'll be spending a lot of time in the upcoming year assisting people in assisted living, they take a lot of naps (or I sit with them overnight) and my wrist can only handle so much crocheting, due to my typing at home.

So, 2014 will be the Year of the Book

I intend to read fifty books (not including books meant to be read in one day) in 2014, and will keep track of the progress on goodreads.

Year of the Book will apply to not only reading, but writing, as well.  I did much better on 2013's NaNo than I expected, based on both 2012's attempt and how things got started.  The plot is pretty basic, nothing outstanding, but I have it mapped to cover about 8 months worth of plot.  The 50k I wrote in November covers about 2.  So, here's my "schedule" for handling the manuscript in 2014, after taking the month of December off to rest and recuperate.  (If it works well, I may try to condense or modify it in upcoming years and maybe get a novel published or something.)

January: cut 13,500 words (500/day*)
February: add 7,200 words (300/day)
March: cut 13,000 words (500/day)
April: add 50k (camp)
May: cut 13,500
June: cut 12,500
July: add 50k (camp)
Aug: cut 13,000
Sep: add 7,800
Oct: cut to completion/prep for 2014 NaNo

*I won't be working on my novel on Sundays.  Total calculations were made based on the word count goal (for either adding or cutting) per day, with the exceptions of camp months.

Also, I learned just how much structure I need in my scripture study. (Attempting to read the Bible Dictionary was less than successful.) Last night, I came up with a 1-2-3 plan. I'm going to read the entire New Testament once, the Book of Mormon twice, and the Gospels (Matt, Mark, Luke, and John) 3 times ( inclusive of the entire NT). The order will be as follows:
4Gs
BoM
NT
BoM
4Gs

No comments: