2014-09-10

Dating Fun

If you've tried to encourage me to go after a guy over the past year or so, you've probably heard me say, "If he's not man enough to ask me out, he's not man enough to marry me." And, at my age, I'm not looking to date just for fun. That's something reserved for the old and the young.

However, there has been a guy or two I've been interested in, and there are some people in my life who have encouraged my interest in the one who happens to be very shy. Here is an online conversation I've had with some of my long-time friends in relation to this. You can see how it starts off helpful, jumps to ridiculous, and finally ends up satirical. It's classic and why I love them like family.

Self:"You know, there are a few people who'd be real happy if you asked me out."
What do you think: too forward to say to someone who is pretty shy?

Sav: I think it is too forward for someone who is holding out for the guy to ask. If you are willing to say that to him, why don't you just ask him out?
And I am completely on your side about the guy doing the asking, by the way. I just think that question is pretty much asking him out yourself. So if you are waiting for him, I wouldn't say it. But if you are willing to make the first move, then I think it is fine.

Misknow: I don't think it's too forward, but I'd probably just make the first move, so what do I know?

QG: Too forward. There are three types of men, in my opinion. Either they're into you, they're not into you, or they don't know how to be a man.

Imp: The male ego is a fragile thing, asking a girl to a dance used to be about an hour ritual of dialing and hanging up so I think this is a good approach.   But spice it up just a bit. I would go with "Hey I made a $20.00 bet with someone that you would ask me out and  I really need the money. "

Self: I'm afraid if I do that, he'll expect me to pay for dinner, and I am not that kind of girl.

Imp (who is a father of 3 grown children)It used to be that guys just assumed they would pay,  I guess now days it's a little more up in the air.   Do you have a cat that you can get stuck in a tree and ask him to help you get it down?  It can even be a dead cat so he can help you through the trauma after he discovers its state.  Shy guys jump at the opportunity to help a damsel in distress.

Self: To do list: get a dead cat.

Misknow: Step 1: Get a living cat...

Self: Not necessarily. A dead one wouldn't violate my lease.

Misknow: Your lease specifies no LIVING cats?

Imp: that is a strange thing to put in a lease unless you are living in a gothic community.

Self: It just says "NO PETS." in bold.
But, if I get a live cat, I would have to take responsibility for its death, which is less appealing than finding an already dead cat.

Imp: is this guy fairly bright?  like would a stuffed cat be obvious or could you potentially pull that off?  Otherwise you might have to scan the side of the road while you're driving.  It would really suck if you killed a cat for this plot and it ended up being his cat.  That would be a big hole to dig out of.

Self: If he's not smart enough to tell the difference between a dead cat and a stuffed cat, I don't want to date him.

Misknow: I found a dead cat on the side of the road recently. Should have saved it.
Except it really didn't look like it was in a condition that would allow it to climb a tree, even just to die.

Self: And I don't know that a dead cat would have made it through customs. (Misknow is currently in Canada.) But it's the thought that counts.

Misknow: You can bring a cat across as long as it's vaccinated for rabies. I don't know of any rule that is has to be alive.

Minders: Our acceptable use policy specifically states no live animals.

Imp: I wonder if there is a general acceptable use of a cat policy that would override local jurisdiction.

Minders: Well, ours is for merchant services. So you cannot sell live animals and charge a credit card for it. I asked yesterday what if it was a dead animal. Apparently we had someone try to say they sold a dead puppy and had to have that talk with them.

Shan: The University of Utah has a 3-D printer that you can have something produced through if you pay them money. I bet you can print a cat. It might cost a little, but  you can probably get your money's worth in dates if you use that technique on every new guy you're interested in.

No comments: