Thanks to the bloggerific Zach Anderson for supplying the inspiration for this post. He asked his blog followers to comment with their top ten and while I was compiling my list, I realized that I wanted to explain what it was I liked about some of them or some story related to them. So here I go.
Oh, and the reason I specified these are LDS hymns is because one of my favorite hymns of all time, Amazing Grace, isn't in our hymn book.
Here's where you can go to find links to these and create your own list.
*If you think the order is the order in which I favor them, you'd be wrong. If you think the order is the order in which they appear in the hymnbook, you'd be right.
# 27 Praise to the Man
In addition to the lyrics, I like the tune. Mostly because it's featured on the bagpipe cd I bought on a whim at a Goodwill in Sioux City.
# 29 A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief
Once upon a time, I actually took the time to memorize all 7 verses. I can still catch most of it singing along, but without accompaniment of other singers, I easily get verses confused or in the wrong order. I really appreciated that memorization earlier today, though, while I was at the Reflections of Christ exhibit at the Trail Center. While I was looking at the last image, which was of a resurrected Christ above a handful of people, I heard the sound system playing an instrumental version of this song. The final verse kept running through my head, which added appreciation to both the music and the art.
# 30 Come, Come, Ye Saints
Being stationed in the area of Winter Quarters, where pioneer history is important more than once a year, *cough*July 24*cough* it amazes me every time I take someone through the trail center and the sister missionary pushes that little button and encourages us to sing along, just like the pioneers would have. In fact, when I saw Mo-Tab in concert in Des Moines last summer, I had to suppress the urge to sing along.
On a semi-related note, while I love the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's amazing talent, a couple of weeks later, my (less-musically-inclined) Single's Ward sang this as an opening hymn for Sunday School. Guess which version I thought sounded better?
# 100 Nearer, My God, to TheeThis hymn reminds me again of Sioux City, where this was a part of the prelude to sacrament every week. It's another one that I memorized the beyond-standard verses to, as well. The 4th became a special favorite as I sang all five while walking to work this winter, when my breath was freezing to my eyelashes.
# 134 I Believe in Christ
One of the most memorable Sunday School lessons I've ever had was Easter of 2008. It was team-taught with each teacher taking turns reading Elder Bruce R. McKonkie's final conference address (a Gospel classic), about Christ's Atonement. At various points throughout the talk/lesson, the teachers stopped and the class sang hymns about Christ. Most of which I noticed were written by modern-day apostles (this one being written by McKonkie himself). This hymn stood out because the girl I was sharing a hymn book with (who happened to also be the ward choir director) whispered the suggestion she would like to stand while singing this one. I agreed, and watched as a few others joined us. But only a few. I felt it was symbolic of how many people give lip service to their belief in Christ.
Also, more recently, I've taken notice of the different interpretations of the title. We can believe in Christ and his existence. But we can also believe in the promises He has made and will yet make to and with us.
# 137 Testimony
I like this one because it's simple and straightforward. Verse by verse, it explains what a testimony is, what it feels like, and why it's important to have one.
# 194 There Is a Green Hill Far Away
Another one I like because of it's simplicity. I especially like the lines, "We may not know, we cannot tell, what pains He had to bear..." The dual meaning of "cannot" gets me every time. (We don't know because we weren't there, but also because our mortal bodies are incapable of truly understanding the pains that He did bear.)
# 220 Lord, I Would Follow Thee
My main reason for liking this comes in the second verse: "In the quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see."
# 292 O My Father
The doctrinal principle that this hymn is based on is one of my absolute favorites.
# 292 Each Life That Touches Ours for Good
I really found this song while I was working at a Care Center/Rehab place. It always reminds me of one of the most loving residents there. She was just so sweet to everyone. Plus, I feel that every life that has touched mine has somehow made me a better person in one way or another.
Maybe I'll create another post someday about the honorable mentions.
1 comment:
I'm so glad I inspired you! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment