2011-05-04

Dream On!

I love dreams! The kind you have while you're sleeping, especially. I really think they're a way for your subconscious to communicate to your conscious. There are a lot of "dream interpretation" sites and books out there, but I don't really put much stock in those because most of the ones I've seen don't allow much room for personalization.

The biggest reason I love dreams so much is becuase I've had a lot of fun experiences with them. Much of the fun comes when dreams "come true," in that something that happened in my dream(s) parallels something that happens not much later in my waking life.

Here are a couple of the happy highlights:
In real life, a friend asked me to find the word "hoarfrost" in the scriptures. I couldn't locate the reference from memory and let it go. That night or the next, I dreamt an image of D&C 121.

Twice, I've had dreams where my dream self thinks, "That person is familiar; I know him." Then I wake up, recall the face in my mind and wonder who in the world that is. About six months later, I meet someone I feel I know well. We just click as friends. A little while later, I realize...he (they've both been males) had made an appearance in my subconscious mind before I met him. The instance in high school may be explained away with I had seen him but hadn't taken conscious notice. But the dream I had in college about the friend I met after I graduated and moved 2 hours away (who became my brother-in-law, by the way) cannot be.


All in all, I'd say I'm an unconventional dreamer, based on the dreams other people have told me about. I rarely have dreams where I'm being chased, falling, or naked. (I recall a grand total of three "adult content" dreams in my entire life, so either I don't have them or my subconscious is holding them hostage from my conscious.)

I've had two recurring dreams, and they each only recurred twice. I ocassionally dream about work, which is pretty common.

Even "nightmares" are different for me than for other people. I don't get frightened or fear for my life, safety or well being in my dreams, but I do get stressed. I've had dreams where I woke up with tense muscles because of what was going on in the dreams.

I definitely dream in color. I know this because I had a dream where I noticed the color of a bowl we were using to put out a fire (that was in mid air), and it was a color I have never seen outside of that dream. I don't remember ever dreaming in black and white, although that would be pretty cool.

My dreams are quick. I have documentation (I almost always write them down) where I note the time and some highlights of the dream and then fall back asleep. When I wake up an hour or so later, I'll have had another dream or two.

No comments: