2012-05-16

Two Wheel Tuesday

TWT started on Monday night, as I was gathering my acessories for the commuter ride.  I hadn't ridden in so long that...I couldn't find my gloves.  They weren't in the backpack I use on the way to work.  They weren't with my helmet, and I don't wear one without the other.  I had no idea where they could be.  Eventually I tired of looking and went to bed, although not after praying that I'd find the month-old $15 hand-savers. 
I wasn't falling asleep.  All of a sudden, I experienced a memory of putting something in the pocket under the flap of my Mary Kay bag.  Since I couldn't fall asleep, anyway, I didn't see the harm in looking.  I still don't know when or why I put them there, but that's where the gloves were.

The next morning, I thought fondly on the answered prayer as I crossed the parking lot.  I got into my car, turned it on, and.....Garth Brooks was singing "Unanswered Prayers."  I laughed.

Rode to work and saw one of my heros as I was tieing Nuella down.  He rides at least 20 miles each way to work.  Year round.  I just do 3.8 when it's nice out.

Was followed down the stairs and to the bike rack after work by a man in black wearing a ponytail.  We chatted about the Omaha Commuter Challenge.

Extended my ride, went up a ways and then back down to a Subway, where I splurged on this month's $5 footlong.  That was also where I saw the cutest toddler ever.  Experienced an odd sensation as I observed the actions and conversations of one man as the woman he was with remained in the passenger seat of their car.  Before he even came in, I drew some parallels between them and a couple I know.  The more time I was exposed to him, the more parallels I drew, and some of them were downright bizarre.

Shortly after getting back on the trail again, I saw an animal outside of it's hole.  I'm not great at identifying animals, so my opinion of it being a beaver may not be accurate.  It looked straight at me, so I stopped to take a picture, and it actually let me.  (It was about 15 feet from the trail's edge.) 

Unfortunately, when I pulled the picture up on my phone to show my roommate, the animal wasn't visible.  And it isn't like it had darted away before the shutter closed.  No, it had actually stared at me until I put my seat back in the saddle. 

Maybe it was the ghost of a giant gopher.

No comments: