Yes, yes, I know it's Friday.
So my bike history this past month has been lackluster to say the best. I have two main companions; the one is a rather pleasant partner in that there's conversation and a faster pace than when I'm alone. The other...is useless as a biking buddy. For me, anyway. Starting from the same place and then waiting a mile up the road does not constitute going for a ride together.
The 3 of us took our first (and probably only) ride together on Tuesday.
As the two of them took off uphill into a headwind, I was rather content to let them. When they crested the most intimidating hill without so much as a backward glance, I realized I couldn't do it. I sent a text saying I needed to take a different route, turned around and did so. I'm not proud of bailing.
While riding, I realized what my problem was: I've been trying to be a cyclist when it's far more my style to be a bike rider. I need more Zen rides and fewer training rides.
Last summer, I needed the structure of a training regime. I needed that goal of a 60-mile, all day bike ride. I needed a distraction and project that consuming.
This summer, I don't.
It added something to my life when I very much needed a void filled. It assisted me in accomplishing two very great goals of mine. Now, though, it is taking time, energy, and talents away from things I need to be devoting such time, energy, and talents to. It is hindering me from accomplishing other goals I have set for myself, and I need to put the brakes on that.
No comments:
Post a Comment