The work I'm currently doing is seasonal (temporary) and not my first choice. I'm not as terrible at it as I thought I would be, nor do I dislike it as much as I once thought I would. Still, if I have the chance to do something else, I'm going to.
Which is why I was driving east on 84th and F St. on Friday, October 18th--I had an interview for a permanent position that is more in line with the kind of work I want to be doing. Long story short, I rear ended an open trailer hauling grass.
The guy I hit came out, and determined that since we were both okay and my vehicle was the only one with damage, he didn't want/need to stay. Twice I asked him if he wanted my insurance information, just in case. He declined and drove off.
I didn't know what else to do, so I called 911 and waited for the police to arrive. The silly dispatcher thought it was a hit and run. Once she told me the cops were on their way, I called my interviewer to leave her a message. Just as I was doing that, an innocent bystander came over to check on me. He convinced me to drive it across the street and then stayed with me until the cop arrived. (Whom I had to chase down since they were looking for me in the intersection for a white car, whereas mine is black.)
Long story short, I was able to reschedule the interview and find a friend to give me a ride. I have to replace my hood, my headlights and my radiatior. The estimate from the insurance company included fixing my fenders and my bumper. But, as I told the guys at the body shop, I don't need my car to look pretty, I just need it to run right now.
My insurance considered the car totaled and put a check in the mail for that, minus my $500 deductible. The cost to replace my bumper and fender came out to be about $500, so my check should cover the majority of the repairs. (I'm tempted to hope I'll even have some leftover.)
The interview was rescheduled for first thing Monday morning, but, as I said, I made it there. They informed me they would be calling their top 3 candidates for a job shadow type thing, and they called me in for that at 10:30 Friday, which was not easy to work around.)
It's been a crazy week without a car, but I've still managed to make it to church and the temple for both of my shifts. I even walked the 6 miles from work to my scripture study class. When a couple of my friends (who had been unable to give me a ride) found out, they were shocked, even after I told them it would have taken me just as long to get home, so I figured if I'm walking that far, it may as well be there. (Plus I knew I could get a ride home from someone once I was there.) Besides, the pioneers did it.
P.S. my ward had a Halloween party Friday, and I dressed as Kaylee, which I realize is more cosplay than costume. What I didn't realize until after I had been there awhile was that I had dressed up as a mechanic while my car was broken.
No comments:
Post a Comment