For Mormons around the world, this past weekend was conference weekend. That Saturday and Sunday twice a year when, as one apostle put it, we watch television broadcasts for 10 hours.
Saturday was an off day for me. I woke up, but got caught up in things of the world, and lost track of time. Even though I was already late for the first session, I decided to go to the Institute building, hoping to watch our church leaders address the world with other young single adults.
There were two cars in the parking lot. Not a good sign.
The elders (male missionaries) were coming up the stairs just as I was entering the building. They told me they were on their way out to help someone move, and that the only people downstairs were 2 elders from another ward. The mission rules state that elders can't be alone with women; there must be at least one other male over the age of 18. Before I could say anything, the missionaries volunteered themselves to go to the stake center.
It was depressing, being alone in such a large place that used to be filled with so many people at such a time. I was really bummed. I was also hormonal and depressed from having nothing to do the past two weeks. I'm unemployed, and I had been filling those hours with temple service, but the temple has been closed for cleaning the past two weeks. I had been considering calling one of my home teachers for a blessing during that time, but talked myself out of it.
Something during the morning session convinced me otherwise.
I called him between the morning and afternoon sessions and asked if he could come by the institute building to give me a blessing. He agreed, and since he doesn't know me all that well, suggested we talk for a while first.
Our discussion was mostly about my SAD and unemployment status. (I start a seasonal job Wednesday, but it's outbound sales to existing customers, and I have a hard time selling life jackets to drowning men.) Since he has a background in psychology, he understands more than most what I mean when I say I have Seasonal Affective Disorder. One thing that he told me was that I needn't be ashamed of it, and then quickly added that I don't seem to be.
The afternoon session featured the one, the only, Elder Holland. His topic: mental illness, specifically major depressive disorder. His remarks were not only for the people who face the struggles themselves, but also for those who live with and care for someone who has a psychological disorder of some kind. I laughed, I cried, I praised God for the perfect timing of such a message, both in the day and in the season.
Watch his fourteen minute message here.
No comments:
Post a Comment