2015-02-02

Break It Down

I feel bad that I didn't update in January. Basically, I was busy with a doubly new calling at church, keeping up with my mood blanket, and man dead car at the end of the month.

At the start of the year, I was released as the RS Secretary and accepted the call to be the branch Primary Music Leader. Doubly new for me as I haven't been involved with Primary since 1997 and the average ward choir/high school band participation. The first week on my own was overwhelming since I had been away from home for 19 hours the day before. I'm still not confident about going into Nursery since the previous music leader relied heavily on her bag of musical props (she does musical/speech therapy at the local schools) and I'm not sure what to do about that.

As for the dead car, I've got two working legs, three working bicycles, an awesome roommate, great coworkers and local friends, and everything I need within 2.5 miles. Except the temple. When I got the news that my relationship with my car would be ending, I received the impression that I should save a ton of money on my car insurance by not having any (because of not having a car), and that devastated me. Not because of a lack independence or anything like that, but because I knew that not having a car would mean no longer working in the temple. I made that phone call while in a public place to prevent a breakdown. 

Speaking of breakdowns, I had a pretty understandable one after the diagnosis of timing chain. I was still bawling six minutes after the phone call when a debt collector called me on behalf of one of my student loans. It's funny now, but I'm pretty sure the poor guy didn't know what to make of it at the time. I think it took him longer to regain his composure than it did me while discussing alternative payment options. 

No comments: