For the last year plus, I've been making my way into a mote-picking, beam-ignoring camp. A large part of it was allowing people I spent the most time with to have such an influence on me. I have always been good at finding the best in people. It's one of the qualities I liked best about myself. However, after spending considerable amounts of time with people who are not only looking for the worst in others, but holding it on a pedestal, I lost that skill.
I really noticed it last night when one of my housemates mentioned a mutual acquaintance neither of us had seen recently, and I immediately started talking about negative things. The worst part is, that it wasn't really even an accurate portrait of how I think of the acquaintance. It makes me really sad to see that I changed that much in such a short time.
I'm trying to change.
My new calling at church is sure going to help me, I'm sure. I'm teaching Sunbeams. Three boys, three girls, most of them are still three years old. I subbed with the six year old class one week, then Sunbeams the next two. I was issued the call my first week with the Sunbeams and sustained the second, and told after that I would probably be assigned to them. (Shocker, right?) The Primary President is new (a couple months) and mentioned that the class has had subs for the past month or so. The teacher before was often left to teach without another adult and, although was consistent in attendance, didn't provide much structure to the classroom. So that's going to be my first focus. I've already found some great ideas that I'm looking to implement. Just need to figure out the best way to print off the coloring pages without access to a printer. (I think one of my housemates has one, though and would probably be cool with me printing a page a week and making copies at the chapel.)
I also applied for a job today. I've been seriously lacking ambition in that aspect. The interview that I had a few weeks ago didn't pan out. My guess is that they had an applicant with exact qualifications, perhaps a few more years or more relevant experience and that person had BLS certification. I looked into getting that, but it's like $70-90 for it, and I haven't seen it as a requirement for enough places for me to feel it's a good investment at this point. (The place I interviewed said BLS certified in 60 days and they said in the interview that it was something they could do on site.)
One of the things I'm finding frustrating about being unemployed right now is people offering suggestions, even after I've told them I'm looking for medical reception. My mom, for instance, suggested the railroad. First of all, that's not the experience I'm looking for. Also, the railroad is downtown and I would like to avoid working downtown. That being said, I drove past the local chain of the food service where I worked part time until June. I'm confident the reason my transfer didn't go through is because no one around wanted to pay me what my previous manager was paying me. (It was a tougher market, I was there nearly four years, and my customer service skills are commendable enough that some older lady mailed my manager a letter--through the post office and everything, she paid for a stamp--to compliment my work in drive thru.) Anyway, they're looking for shift managers. Which, if I don't get an interview with the place I just applied for (I had a phone interview before I moved for a different position), I'll probably end up there for a while. Until I get a comma back in my bank account and/or a loan paid off. (And pay my sister back for the month's rent she loaned me a while ago.)
No comments:
Post a Comment