2009-06-03

Why She Gotta Be Like That?

Ah, the lovely world of texting. I didn't understand the messages my sister sent me last night until I typed them out. Translated, she had more guts than I ever did. She called our mom out on "not wanting 2 [sic] spend eternity with her fam [sic] and got pretty much laughed at." It's getting harder and harder for K to live at home. Patience has never been one of her strong points, despite all the times I told her it was a virtue.

I suppose Mom's finally realized (maybe on her own, maybe through K's words) why I moved down here and why K is, too. We needed to get away from her. I'm a social chameleon; I tend to blend my personality to those I'm around. I knew that if I went home after college, I'd be spending a lot of time with my mom and knew that I didn't want to spend my life like that. I was just too chicken to say it that way to her. K, however, is as blunt as a broken pencil when it comes to saying what's on her mind. Whereas I didn't even have the courage to point out any my mom's hypocrisy the last time I talked to her on the phone.

She told me she had been getting sick of talking to my aunt because all my aunt does is talk about the mother of 4 of my cousin's 5 children. Then my mom proceeded to tell me what J&B are going through and how they're working out a custody agreement. I care about that, I really do, but if she doesn't want to hear it, why is she saying it?
A more painful case of hypocrisy came during said phone call. She told me that when she agreed to be an assistant manager at Star's (a fast food joint I've disguised the name of), she told her bosses that family came first. She also told me that her bosses didn't start piling stressors on her until she became a single mom. When she first became an assistant manager, she said, "they knew I didn't need that job because I had a husband who could support us financially." Well, if your family didn't need you to take it, and family came first, than why did you? (And why couldn't I say that to her on the phone?)

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have time than money to spend with my family.

No comments: