As I was walking to the grocery store this morning, I thought to myself, "I'm in the mood to be a consumer today." Keep in mind that I normally don't spend money. I pay my bills, buy my gas and occasionally get something worth eating at the store. I work at a restaurant; they feed me there. Yesterday, the only food I paid for were the pop tarts (toaster pastries, excuse me) I had for breakfast.
Summer has a way of doing that to me, I think.
So I bought a couple of things at the grocery store. My roommate came home shortly after I woke up after a nap and had just returned from a couple of garage/estate sales. (That's her hobby--estate sales.) She said that one of them had a really neat antique school desk. For $6! I had nothing better to do, so I went....and I got it! It's amazing and the desk itself is in really good shape. The bench, however, requires some work. And I'm mad at it. I took it out of the car and the side (cast iron metal) hauled off and smacked me upside the head. Literally. It got me just beside the eye. Stupid thing. At least the desk is still sturdy. The top could probably use refinishing someday, but not anytime in the foreseeable future.
At the next garage sale we went to, there were some antique school books. I'm talking copyright 1941 here, people. I managed to talk myself down to just one. If I had felt like haggling, I might have gotten them down to less than $1 a piece. There was an English book, a history book and a health book. I'll give 10 cookie points to anyone who can guess which one I bought. I also bought some things for JP's baby shower in August.
I continued my journey into consumernation while at Wal-Mart. I wasn't intending to buy anything, but there were some banana split ice cream sandwiches that sounded interesting. Not as good as the peanut butter ones, in case you're wondering.
I plan on finishing the day out by buying bread. Delicious bread from Rotella's bakery outlet.
No comments:
Post a Comment