2009-08-25

Who's Got a Birthday?

I don't understand the celebration of birthdays. Yes, I realize it's nice to acknowledge that someone entered this world precisely # of years ago. But do we need to throw back a party for one each year? The benchmark ones, I understand. Like 1, maybe 2, 5, 8, maybe 12, 16, 18, maybe 20 or 21, 30, 50, and so on.

Apparently winters are cold and boring, so people decide to make babies because it's a birthday time of year. I log in to facebook and see my upcoming birthday list nearly reaching double digits. Granted, that covers more than one day, but still, you get my point. By the time my own birthday comes around, I'm all birthday'd out. Which is fine by me; I've never really cared much for being in the spotlight anyway.

I'm just glad to have reached the age where people stop asking me what I want for my birthday. Maybe it's because I've stopped telling people when my birthday actually is. People tend to want to make big deals out of birthdays, and I'm not one of them. In fact, this will be the first time in the past few years that I won't be working on my birthday, and that's only because it's a normally requested day off. (Which makes me a little nervous for other reasons.)

I just don't understand what people think is so special about birthdays. Maybe it's because I, myself, have no desire to be made to feel special on the anniversary of my birth, so it's difficult for me to understand why other people do. (Feel free to offer explanations.)

1 comment:

Kevineb said...

I suppose once you are an adult it's mostly an excuse to party and get attention, which some people want more than others. And presents.