2010-03-22

The Question is...

To blog or not to blog?

I mean, on the one hand, it's nice having an outlet for the things you notice in life. It's nice to answer the questions "How are you?" and "What's new with you?" in one fell swoop.

But, if you're like me and you want to get into the nitty gritty of humanity and want to really know and understand people with the anticipation of retribution, you're going to have to face some fears.

My blogger dashboard is pretty full. It's pretty balanced between people I've interacted with on a human level and people I've interacted with only on an electronic level, if at all. I've stumbled across blogs for people I know but don't really care enough to follow. Occasionally, I'll stumble across a blog of someone I kind of know and follow simply because I like their style or their perspectives. Sometimes, I like the blog more than I like the person. (But, to be fair, it's probably because I know the blog better than the person.)

I don't know why I circle around the point. Maybe I just type to kill time while I think of the best phrasing for my idea.

I follow a good number of local "real people" blogs privately because I'm leery of people I only kind of know stumbling across my blog and reading things about other people in my life.

See, my life revolves around people. It's all about who I'm around, who I care about, who I talk to, who I open up to, who I read about. Some people revolve their life around hobbies. Sports, cooking, television shows, working out. Mine revolves around people. I will want to stay or leave someplace based on who's there.

Again, I'm typo-babbling.
If you read anything I've written about myself, you know that I do that.

I guess my question is not whether not I should blog, but whether or not I should follow and comment on blogs openly. Thereby opening my blogging self up to people I only kind of know.

What have I got to lose? Just my fear.
(I suppose you could say that I might lose a friend or something along the way, but I think a friend who leaves you or judges you was never a friend to begin with, and you can't lose a friend you never had.)

But I'm probably hyping all this up. It's not like I'm going to get an onslaught of readers once I start following blogs publicly.

No comments: