So, it wasn't a quarter-life crisis, and it wasn't my toothpaste causing me to feel all changed.
It was that I was spending too much time with too many women. Not just women, but women who act like girls. This was intensified by the quirk that I tend to absorb the character of those I'm around. It's why I'm so choosy about my friends; their life patterns really influence my own. I have to put myself around people who have qualities that I want to have, and that wasn't happening. I was around too many "girls."
Most of it was really the one I sat next to during my training class and at lunch. It took a few days for us to settle in to our regular seats, and at the time, I wasn't around her enough to absorb a toxic amount of her personality. So sitting next to her at lunch was fine. By the time I could feel the poison set in, it was too late to move a seat down or over without someone observing the change and pointing out how strange I am. (Again.)
I probably could have managed to avoid the toxicity of it had I [a] noticed the symptoms early on and [b] not been assigned the seat next to her in training. I'm just glad we moved seats again. She's really high-maintenance. Big, flashy engagement ring, makes her husband do all the cooking because she doesn't. Little tolerance for people not like her, very particular about everything.
To quote myself as I watched a scene from the Notebook that would result in Quagmiresque response:
"This is why boys hate girls. This is why I hate girls."
I'm pleased to report that I have since been moved to a seat where the people surrounding me act more like women than girls and have taken to redirecting the lunch table conversation when she gets too whiney.
I should be back in no time!
No comments:
Post a Comment