2010-07-05

Quarter-Life Crisis?

That's the only explanation I can come up with. I've been feeling so...off lately. Not myself.

Like I'll cry or tear up at the drop of a hat. Seriously, I heard a song on the radio the other day that's not even that sappy or one that strikes a chord with my personal experiences, and I got goosebumps. And I've heard the song before. The next song to come on was along the same theme and I had to change the channel to prevent an over abundance of tears.

I've also noticed that I've been extremely prone to mood swings, too. In the morning, I'll be happy as a clam, but by the afternoon, I'm a crab. Flat out grouch and just upset with everything. Nothing's going right; nobody understands me. By evening, I'm content and feeling quirky. I'll do things that no one in a sane state of mind would do, like pet a frog at 1 in the morning. I've been able to keep the appearance of a level head while amongst the public, though. Mostly because I can't explain it. If I could explain the offness, I'd let it show.

Oh, and I'm doing things I don't normally do. Like going shopping and baking and calling my mom. And not because they need to be done, either. I've never wanted to do those things before, and it's freaking me out a little bit.

I can feel myself changing somehow, and I'm not sure I like it. I'm happy with who I am and I don't want to change too much. Maybe put in some crown molding or get new drapes, but I feel like I'm being completely remodeled on the inside.

Maybe it's because my life is starting to decompartmentalize itself. This happened once before. I worked very hard to keep work friends, church friends, school friends and family separate. They each had their time with me, and that was it. But then the work started to merge with the school and the family and the church compartment got smaller and colder. Then, when one collapsed, they all crumbled together and it was a minor disaster. Maybe I need to recompartmentalize. Church friends and social friends and work friends and family. Keep them all separate. Then, when one support falls, they don't all crumble.

Or maybe it's the toothpaste. I recently switched brands for the first time in a few years.

No comments: