2011-01-24

Widow of Zarephath

This is the woman whom the prophet Elijah visited during the famine. He asked her for a meal, and she said that although she was planning to feed her and her son for the last time with the little she had, he was welcome to join them. Putting myself in her shoes, I can understand why she might have made that offer. She and her son are going to die of starvation even if they eat all they have. Why not give someone else a chance? She literally had nothing to lose by sharing., since she anticipated losing all anyway.

It paid off for her; the prophet promised they would all have enough to get them through the famine (or drought or whatever economic catastrophe they were experiencing that was causing everyone to starve). And he followed through. Each day, there was still enough scratch to make biscuits (or whatever it was they ate). It's interesting to me that he didn't give her more than she already had. Just took what she had at the start and made it last through the season. Just like Moses and his people's manna, there was never excess, just always enough.

I feel like the widow of Zarephath right now, in terms of motivation and focus. Every day, I'm relying on the Lord to give me enough scratch to make biscuits that day and trust that He'll do the same tomorrow. Someday, though, the famine season will be over and I'll be able to get my energy from something other than biscuits.

---_---_---_---_

I've decided to take KLove's 30-day Christian music challenge. I'm only going to listen to Christian or classical music for 30 days. Two reasons. One, it's probably going to be an uplifting experience. Two, the Christian radio stations are the only ones that don't have land mines connected to memories I'd rather not remember right now.

No comments: