So, last week, I spent a lot of time listening to this. At the beginning of the movie, there's a scene where Sam has a moving experience with a particular song. As soon as the song started to sound familiar to me, the clip ended. I was pretty sure it was the original version of the song I had been listening to all week, but I had to wait until the end to verify.
Also last week (before I watched the movie, actually), I conjured the idea of a mini-series for my blog involving mix tapes, which was a major theme in the movie. Basically, what I want to do is pretend people still use cassette tapes and dedicate a blog post to the songs I would put on a mix tape for a particular someone. The best way I can think of to explain the idea is with an example. So I'll start by making a mix tape for myself.
Let me know if you'd like me to do a Mix Tape for you or a public figure.
(I'd provide links to lyrics/info about some of the more obscure ones I do for others.)
You Give Love a Bad Name, Bon Jovi: I've said it before, and I'll say it again, my very first kiss was my first kiss goodbye.
Helden, Apocolyptica: Yes, I realize David Bowie did the original, but my friends and I spoke a lot of German in high school and this is the version I have.
I Believe in Christ, LDS Hymnal: In addition to being written by one of my favorite apostles, I have lots of fond memories of this song. (One to be this Sunday at a musical fireside, where I will also be performing in a flute-viola duet!)
A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief, LDS Hymnal: This accompanied me through many difficult times, and my current choir director does amazing things with this song, helping me to experience and appreciate it in different ways.
Clearest Indication, Great Big Sea: A lot of my relationships have caused me to feel this way, and not just romantically. Also, it sounds pretty.
My Eyes (On the Rise), Neil Patrick Harris and Felicia Day: Let's face it, I love everything Dr. Horrible, especially the soundtrack. I chose this song because it conveys the conflict succintly and beautifully.
Already Gone, Kelly Clarkson: I spent a lot of time in a love-hate relationship with Kelly Clarkson's music. I hated that I loved it and loved that I hated it. For realsies.
Wither, Dream Theater: I'm a writer, and this song is all about surrendering to a story while you're writing it. Plus, it's good music.
Storybook Love, Mark Knoepfler: Princess Bride soundtrack. That is all you ever need know.
Independence Day, Martina McBride: Sometimes it's a struggle to keep a dry eye when I hear this song. In addition to the obvious content, my parents told my sister and I my dad was moving out on the 4th of July
Something Beautiful, Great Big Sea: The standard "It sounds nice and I identify with it."
Working for the Weekend, Loverboy: Back when I was working 60 hours between 3 jobs, I looked forward to working on the weekends. It's when I met my brother-in-law.
The Grand Illusion, Styx: I've always enjoyed the message behind the song, and really enjoyed not paying to see them perform this live.
I Love Rock and Roll, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts: we had a jukebox in the cafeteria my freshman year of high school and a couple of guys would always play this song at the end of lunch, just before I had Biology class with them.
For the Longest Time, Billy Joel: When I was in high school, there was a barbershop quartet called 1:20, since that's the time they started practice every day after lunch. That first year, they had a senior that sang "time" just like ringing a bell. I always liked their version better than Billy Joel's, but I cannot for the life of me find the CD they made that year. I would seriously pay good money for that, if anyone can find it. (Speaking of lost CDs: MTV's 1998 Sports Musical Festival Soundtrack.)
Kids in America, Kim Wilde: We'd have weekend DDR parties in my room sophomore year of college, and it always seemed that my friend Turd would do this song as I was falling asleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment