2013-03-19

Two Things

First of all, this Sunday at 7:00, I'm going to be part of a musical fireside.  Our choir is doing a beautiful rendition of "I Believe in Christ," which is one of my favorite hymns (seriously, the first time we sang it in practice, we were only going to do one verse, but it felt so good we decided to do all four).  I've almost got it all memorized, thanks to our doing this..  But, also, I'm going to be the flute part of a flute-viola duet.  I haven't done a duet in nigh upon 15 years!  We're going to be playing "If You Could Hie to Kolob," which I thought was an odd choice but went with it.  (To be honest, I've always thought the composition of the verses was odd, as they're assymetrical in their repetition. 

Aaaanywayyyy...I came across a mormonchannel station about the history of hymns, and "If You Could Hie to Kolob" happened to be one of them.  Since I have a copy of the 1940's LDS hymnal (I'm betting my dad snagged one when our branch updated to the 1985 version), I went home and tried it.  I like it, but there are a few kinks that would need to be worked out.  I couldn't try it with the high F# because I didn't have the fingering (thank you, internet).  So I tried playing it as written, which I liked.  Although I've always liked when flutes play low, I didn't like how the current version sounds played as written, and I didn't like how it sounded when I switched octaves between the two.  (We're doing three verses.)  So I'm at a loss.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Also yesterday, I was feeling a little more than melancholy, although not quite lethargic.  I wanted to feel better and do a little reminiscing about things other than what I usually reminisce about.  So I posted the following on facebook:


By liking or commenting on this status, you hereby invite me to post one of my favorite memories of you on your wall (or timeline or whatever the kids are calling it these days).

It's worked like a charm.  It's also challenged me to be creative and personal and I may try it again in the future.  I have a wide array of associates as facebook friends, and requests have come from almost all the paths of my life.  (None from high school, yet.  Unless you cound my sister and cousin, but those fall under the social umbrella of family.)  It's been a great reminder that, even though I have over 600 facebook friends, I can remember at least one thing about time spent with that person.  It's made me feel less lonely and detached from the world in which I've lived. 
And I'll admit, a secret part of me hopes this goes viral or starts a movement or something.
Update: at least one of my friends has reposted! 

No comments: