2013-07-23

A Family Affair

My roommate's family is moving from New Hampshire to Utah.  We live in the center of the country, so it only makes sense that they would hang with us for a day or two.  As is customary for circumstances in my life, it was complicated.  I'll try to simplify it for you.
THUR PM thru SAT AM: Mom, brother (15), and 3 sisters (15, 7, 6)
SAT PM thru ???: sister (24) and 3 nephews (6, 4, 2)  They were supposed to stay through Wednesday morning (I think) but have decided to stay a few extra days.  Not sure if that changes when her dad is coming out or not, as there was supposed to be a transition day there, as well.  Oh, well.

The only ones missing out on the trip are a brother (19) and a sister (27, with a husband and 5 kids, including a newborn).

We certainly had "fun" childproofing the place in the days and weeks beforehand.  Making sure things like scissors, bleach, and lighters were out of the reach of children.  I realized halfway into the adventure that it's possible we went a little overboard when I noticed I had a jar of rubber cement on the coffee table next to the door, after the boys had been largely unsupervised for hours at a time.

Since my roommate's sister wasn't feeling well on Sunday, I took to entertaining the boys when I came home from church.  We played a rousing game of Chutes and Ladders, during which I kept spinning myself down the chutes.  The third (or maybe fourth) time I went down the same one, I commented I must not have learned my lesson, as I kept reading comics instead of doing my homework.
The 6 year-old asked me, "Why do we read history?" (That was the homework I was supposed to be doing on that square.)

Good question, kid.

After the roommate came home, she taught the oldest one to play War with cards while I colored with the younger ones.  Which largely consisted of the 2 year-old telling me what colors to use for which part.  He's got an eye for color.  (picture of our picture later)

No comments: