2015-05-19

When I Am Baptized

The kids are pretty familiar with this song, but I wanted to help them understand the doctrine a little better. I don't think I succeeded during Primary time. But I happened to be listening to it when my VT came over last month with her husband and 7 y/o daughter. I talked with them about how much I like the line "I can be forgiven and improve myself each day." It was the only part of our conversation she seemed attentive to (can't blame her) and I caught a Eureka expression on her face when I said something like it when we sang the song the next week.

Anyway, here was the basis for my intentions last week.
 http://www.camillesprimaryideas.com/2012/05/when-i-am-baptized.html
Except I didn't draw or paint a rainbow, I crocheted one. Or tried. It was definitely wonky and didn't stay up well at all.

Junior Primary was way too irreverent for any lesson to really be effective, although one of the Sunbeams was so obsessed with the paper raindrops that he was able to stay in his seat a little longer. Not to be taken as a gripe, but I spent 90% of Sharing Time corralling the two main wanderers. At least we were on the edge of the seating arrangement. Go figure that the lesson was on reverence. 

I had really been looking forward to teaching the Senior Primary about staccato and legato, but there wasn't enough time left for the lesson and closing exercises. So we did the Singing with Style and since  they also had a lesson on reverence, I chose whoever was reverent when I turned around from putting up the next style card. 

During sacrament, I happened to sit with the family of the child assigned to give the closing prayer in Senior Primary. He just turned 8 and is extremely shy, and may very well have learning disabilities. When his mom reminded him of his assignment, he expressed that he was afraid or unwilling. She gave him some encouraging words of comfort and said that Sister W would be there to help him or that I would be. He looked up and I managed to give him a quick smile before he turned away. Since Sister W had to teach one of the Junior Primary classes, she wasn't in there when it came time for him to say the prayer. Since we do Singing Time last (because I squeeze Nursery Music Time between the hours), I was up front. I will not soon forget the look on his face when I asked him if he would like help. It's like I could see fear vanishing. He needed me in there because I would remember to ask/offer to give him help that he would have been too afraid to ask for. I know he's going to grow leaps and bounds before I'm released, and I'm looking forward to seeing the difference.

Sister W gave me some visual aids for teaching the song Reverently, Meekly a while ago, and since I have family coming to town (and other factors), I'll probably use that as my lesson.
 

No comments: