2015-04-26

Sing With Style

I got the idea for this from this blog.
http://afprimarysingingtime.blogspot.com/search/label/Fun%20Ways%20to%20Sing

With modifications, of course. This will probably be my favorite, since it is super easy to adjust it to fit the allotted time for that day. Today was it's inaugural run, and it went over pretty well. I chose it because it was Branch Conference, and we weren't sure exactly how much time we would have. My plan is to leave the key ring with the cards in the Primary Room so if I can't be there some Sunday, Singing Time doesn't have to suffer. I specifically chose ones that didn't need props, since I'm not a prop person. They were polarized on Opera Sing (some showed excitement, some groaned) and I think at least one was disappointed a capella wasn't chosen. I may have to do some more mental prep about how to do the boys/girls card. Or a front row/back row card. Some of the action styles don't work well with some of the more reverent songs, so I put a list of song numbers next to those on a separate card. The styles are on pieces of green cardstock and the list of appropriate songs is on purple.

Sister T., our pianist, was touched that we learned all three verses of On A Golden Springtime for her. (I thought she was going to be gone this week, but she wasn't, so we sang it as a "warm up" song.) Since Sharing Time seemed extra long and the room seemed extra full, we did H,S,K,T three times to get some wiggles out. Once regular speed, then one of the little girls read my mind and suggested we do it faster, and then we did it slow to calm ourselves.

The stake Primary presidency appreciated the choosing sticks for their activity, as well as having visitor sticks in there. I used them to choose children to come up and choose one of the four cards I had on the board and then selected the songs myself. Once I learn the songs better, that part will be easier for me, but I am making quite a bit of progress this week while my roommate is gone and I can play the list of songs I know they know on my iPad. I would replace the chosen style with a new one before the next child came up. Even our Sunbeams were rather well behaved today. I'm not sure how much of that was because of the stake visitors and how much was because we let the conjoined Primary sit wherever they wanted. Poor kids are out of their routine, since we were combined last week, too, due to a teacher shortage. 

The stake PriPres caught me afterward and let me know she thought I did a good job. Of course, she told me this just after I finished apologizing to the Nursery leader for not coming in for Music Time, and I can't remember if I left my list in there or not. Whoops. Thankfully, Sister Z. is pretty easygoing and forgiving (you kinda hafta be when your husband tells the whole branch over the pulpit that you almost accidentally started the house on fire because you left something on the stove when you went to pick the kids up from school). 

Side note: since the stake leadership taught a combined PH/RS and a combined YM/YW, Sister Z., President T (who spoke in sacrament) and I were the only ones who had to prepare anything for today.

No comments: