2015-06-27

Primary Review

Our Primary needs to review the program songs.  Ok, I need to review the program songs!  So, we're going to play Sing With Style in what will probably be a combined meeting again.  The songs we've learned so far have an approximate running time of 10:30, so adding wiggle songs will probably take us to a full 15 minutes.  And if we need to add another song or two, we can do that, too.

For the opening song, I'm planning on singing all three verses of I Am a Child of God because I want to see how well they know all three.  This curiosity arises out of a desire to test the waters for a special musical number with the Primary and Young Men/Young Women.  Most of the youth have at least one sibling in Primary, and their lessons for August talk about things like making the family more unified.  For a long time, I have actually thought there was an actual version of the song in the Children's Songbook that had the adults singing a complementary part during the chorus.  It's not there, though.  Just in my head.  That memory I had of singing or hearing this version while I was in Primary must have been a dream.

Anyway, the alternative version is just to basically take out the "me" in the chorus and hold the word before it another beat. Basically, the Primary kids would sing the song as written.  The Young Men and Young Women would sing the verses as written, but change the chorus a little bit.  Instead of singing "Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way.  Teach me all that I must do to live with him someday," they would sing, "Leeead, guiiide, walk besiiide, heeeelp find the way.  Teeeach all that WE must do to live with him someday."  If the majority of the Primary knows the majority of all three verses, I'll pitch the idea to the Pri Pres to see if she wants one (or both) of us to pitch the idea to the Young Men/Young Women leaders.  Bonus: whoever accompanies won't have to do anything different, so if there's a youth willing/able, that would also be super cool.

The closing song for Primary tomorrow is going to be "The Lord Gave Me a Temple."  There's a song I keep hearing on the radio at work called "Talking Body," and it is essentially about having sex.  It may be cleaned up in terms of what the words are, but strung together, those "clean" words are anything but.  And it's a catchy tune, to boot.  It includes the line "Our baby making bodies we use just for fun."  And I'm screaming in my head, "No!  That's not the way."  I also know that at least two of the Primary kids are exposed to it because their mom listens to the same radio station we play at work.  One that is, generally, a family friendly station.  They play John Tesh at night, for goodness' sake!  So I want to sing this song as an attempt to oppose the opposition.  Maybe even if it's just for me.

So that's the plan for Singing Time tomorrow.  lol...I've been told to not expect much for Sharing Time since the Primary Pres was on trek and may not even be back from Wyoming yet.  Our second counselor hasn't been in about a month, and we still haven't called a first counselor to replace the one who moved.  Hence all the combining, since we also don't have anyone in the ward with an iron hand in a velvet glove for our Sunbeams.  At least, not anyone who hasn't been snatched up by another auxiliary!  Ah, the struggles of a branch. 

No comments: