2015-08-28

Called to Serve

I met with my Primary President earlier this week to discuss the Program. I'm trying to be more excited than nervous, since I recall very little about ANY Primary Program. Other than noticing how adorable the kids are. Eep. And I'm not sure about how to handle some of the logistics, like where I sit and stand. We don't have a full-sized standard chapel, and in our case, there is no raised podium/stand. So, it's bound to be interesting. It's entirely possible that I sit with one of the kids to keep them reverent.

Because of our numbers, we're also adding a few extra songs. 

I don't know if all Presidents know about this trick, but ours has been saving the talks from the older kids throughout the year and making that their part. The Sunbeams parts are pretty much reciting the theme for each month, and the rest of Junior Primary is reading a scripture. I looked over the "script" and was super impressed. I also imagined each part in the voice of the child, and it sounds great in my head! We'll be reciting the 1st Article of Faith in Spanish, which is super exciting!

I might post later about how we're reviewing the songs and getting those ready. I'm honestly not sure how many weeks we'll have to practice in the chapel, but I'm excited to incorporate an idea I saw around Father's Day to make sure the kids are singing loud enough. The teacher for the boys in a Senior Primary is a stickler for them wearing ties, and does a great job with them in general. He will totally ham up our cutting up "his" (Goodwill) tie at the back of the chapel. The louder they sing, the higher the scissors go!

Anyway, during our meeting, we talked a little bit about an idea I had introduced to her on Sunday. I found it here some time ago and was so excited about it that I was disappointed I'd have to wait until after the Program to do it! 
Basically, we are asking everyone in the branch who has served a mission to list where they served and what their favorite Primary song is. We may turn it into a game and have the Primary guess who each missionary is, and I think we'll all be totally okay if it takes more than one week, since all of October is about missionary work. This week is a fifth Sunday, so we will just pass around a clipboard and I'm sure we'll get 90% of the info we need there. We will also leave the (dollar store) map up on the bulletin board in the back of the Primary room, probably until Christmas.




No comments: