For Labor Day, the female roommates were planning on going camping. HMN had bought an eight person tent, delivered the week prior. They had invited a few others. I had been planning on going to see Indian Cave State Park and maybe some other NE Passport sites in southeast NE with Stu. Just a little day trip with an open invite to anyone who didn't have to work. (My van feels like it was made for road trips and I haven't used it to go more than 100 miles from wherever home is at the time.)
Rain ruined all of that, though. I had psyched myself up for a day without the people who complain about motes with beams. (Seriously, at least make a partial effort to pick up after yourself at least part of the time.) Stu cancelled the day trip, too, because of the rain. So I took a spontaneous drive by myself.
Had no idea where I wanted to go when I left the house, just started driving. Ended up going north on 75 through Blair, deciding sometime along the way that I would go to Sioux City. Stopped at a scenic overlook and learned a bit about the Umoⁿhoⁿ nation. Beautiful view of the Missouri River and understood the reference in D&C about it's strength a little better. It was lovely and just what I needed. Saw the start of an unofficial path and if I had been wearing pants (rather than capris) and a bra (I said it was spontaneous) I would have gone down to see where it went. maybe next week.
Didn't do anything in Sioux City other than drive cross the river and get on I-29, deciding I'd go somewhere in South Dakota. It started raining, so I got off the interstate. (I need to get my wipers checked out because the passenger one flops a little bit. I'm due for an oil change in 3 days or 1000 miles.) Stopped to check a map and decided to go through Yankton and come home via 81 and 275. Ended up inadvertently stopping at a NE Passport site. Didn't realize until I was back in my car after using their bathroom and saw someone walking around with a passport. Took mine out, and sure enough, there it was. Didn't care enough to go back in for a stamp. Had another experience with a walking trail. Had I been more appropriately dressed, I'd have walked it.
Came straight home so I didn't have to stop for gas, since I knew I'd have to since one of my good college friends was getting married the following Saturday, in a city about 130 miles away. (More about that later, here and/or my writing journal.)
I've decided to get out of the house every night. Panera on Mondays, Tuesdays is the temple, I'll maybe do VI on Wednesdays for free pie, and then split Thursday and Friday nights. Haven't been very good about my reading walks. I place blame on laundry anxiety. Our laundry room is a mess, and HMS has the worst laundry habits. Leaves it down there for days on end. HMJ and I are the most responsible about not leaving clothes in the area for more than 24 hours. HMN is okay about it, but HMS is awful. Even if I take it upstairs for her, she'll leave it wherever I do. There have been three baskets of clean laundry sitting in the upstairs hallway for over a week. I put them there because I wasn't sure who the clothes belonged to, and I don't really much care. I know they don't belong to HMJ, although one is blocking his door. I don't know how that doesn't upset him, I really don't.
This morning, when I was taking some boxes out to the garage, where they will sit until at least Thursday (when I take them out for trash day), I noticed that one of the bookcases HMS and Andy had taken out of the basement (so we can rip up the moldy carpet and drywall, even though I'm fairly confident HMS hasn't called to schedule a dumpster for this weekend) was sitting in the maze quality walkway between the human door and the car door. So, if there had been a fire Saturday or Sunday night (which, considering the mess in the laundry area...) I'd have been toast. YEAH, TOAST!
Anyway, I've cancelled the plans to go on a sight seeing trip with a friend, her young children and exchange student. Instead, I've offered to come out and nanny for her while her husband's away if she gets the job she interviewed for. She called to tell me that she has a friend doing a documentary film shooting during banking hours, either this week or next week. I didn't confirm the dates, but she said she'd pass along my contact info. It's a paying gig, so yay! Because I never did call that doctor. I'll probably tell the person who gave me the lead that I couldn't remember the name. Which is true enough; it took me a while to remember it when I came home and I had to browse the directory.
No comments:
Post a Comment