2018-09-19

Confidence Anxiety

Had an interview yesterday at a place that was pretty much the GP version of the eye doctor I most recently worked at.  I really think that I would like working there, but there are a couple of things I'm hesitant about.  Based on the dream that I had last night, I'm terribly afraid that the atmosphere of the front desk will also be incredibly similar.  Would rather not get into details, but the way my immediate coworkers (teammates doesn't really apply, which was a big part of the problem) treated me and others was toxic to me.  One was really great to work with, one seemed to resent me because I was cheerful and competent, one seemed to think everyone around her (but especially me) was incompetent, and one turned out to have been embezzling which made it difficult for me to believe anything she had ever told me, especially because she had felt like my only ally for a long time.  If I had had more confidence about my body and hygiene, I would have transferred over to the techs.  They were always begging me to, and I was the one up front most interested in knowing some of the things they knew.

I'm also being a little rough on myself over not mentioning my Tuesday night service work.  That's what I call temple work in new job settings, so as to give employers plausible deniability about my religious status.  Since it's not strictly a worship service, I know they are not under any legal obligation to allow me time off work for it, but they might not know that.  Anyway, the position they're hiring for is scheduled off at 5:00 on Tuesdays.  I forgot to ask or say anything about making arrangements to be off at 4:30.  Even though, at the end of the interview, the office manager asked me if I had any plans for the evening, and I mentioned going to do some service work.

I talked to the member of the temple presidency at the end of my shift about it, since I ought to hear back by Tuesday at the very latest but the temple is closed for the next couple of weeks.  There is another sister who comes when she can after work, which is about half an hour after everyone else.  Our meeting was rather hasty, as I knew he had to help with the end of the session in just a few minutes.  In retrospect, I probably should have waited the ten minutes or so.  Anyway, I mentioned that my options were pretty much coming straight from work (it's about a 20-30 minute drive) or switching to Saturday nights.  I suppose I could change to two of every three Wednesdays, since that's a later start time at the temple and I would be working late every third Wednesday.  (It's a rotating schedule to accommodate later office hours.)  He gave me his email to contact him about it over the break.

Just before I had to leave for my shift, that friend I've mentioned recently called to unload some anxiety of her own.  I was in my basement room and she was in hysterics, so I was only able to catch about every third word, but she was expressing some of the same things I felt as I was turned down for my first few positions.  Won't get into details, but I asked if she thought getting a priesthood blessing would help, a way of suggesting to get one.  Unfortunately, it made her admit that neither she nor her husband had received one before he left for halfway around the world.  I told her that I would put her name on the prayer roll and text her when I was home.  I admittedly selfishly waited about an hour to do that. Didn't hear anything, but texted her as I went to bed that she could still call.  If I didn't answer, I told her to call until I woke up and let her know that I wouldn't be who I am without her.  Didn't hear from her and texted her this morning.  Didn't hear anything until I got on facebook and realized I hadn't joined her group for her MLM type business.  My request to join was immediately accepted and then I got a text from her saying that her alternator had gone bad.

But I've been down here in the cold, newly unfinished basement long enough.  Chose to be down here to monitor the dishwasher.  With the drywall and ceiling tiles underneath it gone, I can check to see where it's leaking.  However, I don't think it's been doing that lately.  That's all right.  I'm sure I can find enough dishes around to do another load tomorrow.
Off I go to research lit mags!

No comments: