I'm at a NaNo write in at the moment, wishing I had brought a sweatshirt. Or not parked behind the kid who lives across the street. I went out for breakfast so I could motivate myself and have energy to do all the things so I could write tonight. Almost left my phone at home, but made sure I put it in my purse. I came home and parked where I usually do, in front of the mailbox. Turned off my car, thought, "Oh, it's Saturday and I probably won't be going anywhere before they deliver the mail. Hey, look, the doofus actually pulled up far enough for me to park behind him! I'll do that."
Turned the van back on, pulled forward and got out of the van. Went into the house, realized I had left my food in the car and went back out for it. Came back in, ate it and went downstairs to work on a scarf I told my sister that I would make her. Realized the yarn I bought last night was still in the van because I had given a drunk coworker a ride home.
Went back outside, got the yarn, went inside and got to work. Watched some curling, did some chores, and got lots of crocheting done. Figured out that one section of my sister's scarf takes about the same amount of time to get through as one end of a Mixed Doubles game, which put the chores aspect on hold for a little. Got at least one urge to check my phone, but never did. More often than not, it's notification for junk emails.
At about 2:30, I finally pull it out because I was planning to make an Arby's run. I realized last night that their salads are $4.99, which seems shockingly low. Makes me happy, though. Probably make me at least a little bit healthier, too. Anyway, I looked at my phone and saw I had three texts! One was spam from MoveOn, which I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn off the texts. (Just sent a direct message to their twitter.) The second was from a coworker who took another drunk coworker home last night, making sure I had got mine home safely.
The third was from HMJ, at 10:30, telling me that my van lights were on. I went out to my car to see if, maybe, by some small miracle, I had any bit of charge left. None. Didn't even turn over. Not even enough power to electronically lock the doors. And of course I had pulled right up to the neighbor's car. If I had stayed parked by the mailbox, there would have been zero problems. HMS was home all day; she doesn't work Saturdays, either (and that includes at home most weeks). We could have backed her car into the driveway and jumped me from there.
But, nooooooo, I had to get all changey and follow the postal worker's wishes to not have to get out of their car to put our mail in the box. I had to be the one to leave my lights on and not notice either of the times that I went out. And I'm the one who didn't check my texts when I thought to, else I would have noticed after an hour instead of five, which probably would have been okay. I mean, I might have had to encourage it and take it for a drive to keep it warm, but it would have been fine. Certainly better than circumstances are now, anyway.
Either way, it's left me less than motivated to do much since realizing the situation. I waited all day for that kid to come out of his mom's basement. But if he went anywhere, it was with them. So I got a ride with my roommate and now am at her mercy. I'd like to be at home so I can sleep and at least be well rested, if not well prepared for my Sunbeams tomorrow. I've decided that by the time we get home, it will be late enough that there won't be any traffic we'd be impeding by someone pulling up next to my van to jump it. I have the cables and the know-how, I just don't have the good battery. I should probably invest in one of those portable jumper systems.
Oh, and also, the manager who hired me to start on October 1 will be having her last day with us on Nov 20. I'm the closest one to liking the new girl, and that's only because I'm clinging to my two week policy.
No comments:
Post a Comment