2019-12-31

Can't Complain, But Sometimes I Still Do

As 2019 draws to a close, I have to acknowledge the ups and the downs. 

Started out with my being sick, physically and emotionally.  I thought spring would help me feel better, but it didn't.  I'm not ready to publicly air the grievances, even though this corner of the internet hardly feels public anymore.  Summer was chaotic at best, and we won't talk about at worst, other than to say that I started a new job in May and was technically homeless for August.  This fall has been very up and very down.  I'm getting to myself about things like being a terrible friend and not being a good citizen.  But I've had some high points, like making new friends and losing weight and seeing both of the teams I curled with in the late fall league go undefeated.  (I played 8 games and lost none of them, something I didn't even realize until after the 7th game, and that was only because someone else told me.)

I knew the job would be perfect for me from the interview.  We have seen some staffing changes, although I think they're for the best.  Mostly.  I'm trying to take my nose a little bit off the grindstone so I don't get as irritated with people having personal conversations.  I love having a weekday off, even though it means working ten hours on Mondays.  My particular day is Wednesdays, although it did take some time getting there.  I'm very glad when it switched from Thursdays to Tuesdays that I changed my shift at the temple to Saturdays because work switched it to Wednesdays.  Also, about six weeks after I did that, the assistant shift coordinator announced plans to move to Utah, and guess who was called?  Sometimes I feel a little helpless in that calling, as I don't really know what to do with it.  I have helped train some people, but they were all starting at the same time that I was called, so I was really doubting myself, but they all do things well now, so it goes back to that old mantra I developed when I was called as Primary Music Leader.  "I can't do any irreparable damage, or I wouldn't have been called."

Speaking of callings, with my move, I'm in a new ward.  Within two months of being there, they called me to be a Sunbeam teacher with the bishop's wife.  It's a totally different experience teaching with a regular co-teacher.  Especially when we have different styles.  She is very much the stern, loving grandmotherly type, and I am more the fun aunt.  I've definitely seen an improvement in Christian's behavior, and am sad to see him move on from my class.  I hope his mom tells him more often than she does what a sweet boy he is.  I was kind of glad that she subbed this last week so she could witness me talk him out of misbehaving by just...talking to him.  He just gets a little wild.  "You like to make people laugh, don't you?"  Next year, we have just two Sunbeams, and I'm excited to get to know them a little better.

I'm looking forward to curling again next week.  Early Fall, I did Tuesdays and did Tuesdays and Fridays in the Late Fall league.  So far, I've only signed up for Early Winter and changed from Tuesdays to Fridays.  Mostly for cost reasons.  My Tuesday teams were pretty identical, except we switched JE (RN's wife) for LR.  RD was the skip, sort of by default.  RN approached me when winter signups started and asked if I wanted to join him, JE, and LR on a team.  I agreed; they're all fun people, and that's why I curl.  However, I had heard from both of them that JE and RN end up with domestic troubles when they curl together.  RN told me they worked it out that it was because one of them had been skip when that happened.  Which left me or LR skipping.  LR is newish to the game, but more importantly, will be moving out of town at some point for work.  Which means I'm skipping.  Which I don't really want to do, but will just have to make the best of it.

My psoriasis is doing better, now that I've seen a doctor.  She wrote me out a script for some topical steroids, and I hardly need to use them when I'm eating right.  I've been eating a lot of sugar these past few weeks, and noticed I've needed to use the scalp treatment a few times.  Thankfully not every day.  But the stress at work has also been really high.  We're down an optician (due to a high blood pressure scare that put him on a heart monitor for two days) during our busiest time of the year.  "Procrastination on your part does not constitute and emergency on mine."  That's gonna be the theme going in to 2020.  My coworker MC says that a lot.  I like it.

Another reason I signed up for Fridays instead of Tuesdays, even though I prefer Tuesdays, boils down to me going to California in February!  My younger brother-in-law is stationed in Oceanside, so my sister is going to pick me up from the airport on a Saturday afternoon and take me back to it on Tuesday afternoon.  We have an aunt and uncle flying out an hour before I get in, which is kind of a bummer, but, oh well.  I get to see the OCEAN!  And my family.  Because of work schedules, I was told to take a Monday and Tuesday off instead of a Thursday and Friday to complete a weekend.  So, I'd have to find a sub for a Tuesday draw, and I'd rather not pay for a game I'm not going to curl.  I'll still offer to sub, though, on the other weeks.

But the library is closing in twenty minutes, and I need to eat dinner.  Then I'll go home, start some laundry, run a bath, and maybe stay up until midnight.  Maybe I'll wake up early and get some me time in before agreeing to go to the zoo with my roommate.  (I should check and see if they're open.)

No comments: