There are some songs that everyone knows, regardless of any of those things that are on the Equal Opportunity Employer disclaimer.
Or are there?
How many times have you been somewhere when a song comes on that you just start jamming out to or singing along with? You totally know this song! It's great! It's a classic! It's usually one you haven't heard in forever.
Then you look over at the person across from you and they have a look on their face that says, "Why don't I got no water buffalo?"
"What?! You don't know this song?"
"No. Is this the Beatles?"
"No! It's Supertramp!"
"Oh. I thought it was the Beatles. What song do they sing?"
And then you run into some weirdo who hasn't listend to the radio since 1994. So he doesn't get it when you tell him, "(You Drive Me) Crazy, I just can't sleep."
And even more bizarre is when you're having those getting-to-know-you conversations with someone and you ask, "So what kind of music do you listen to?"
They pause and then say, "You know, I don't really listen to music."
Yes, that really happened.
Songs like the Hokey Pokey and the Chicken Dance don't count.
But even those people would know "Allstar" by Smashmouth. (It's the one from Shrek if you need a memory jogger.)
...which reminds me...some other time...I'll delve into the relationship between music and memory...
Anyway, for entertainment purposes only, 10 songs I think everyone should be able to sing along with. At least on the chorus. Links to lyrics of some.
Bryan Adams, "(Everything I Do), I Do It For You"
Beach Boys, "Wipeout"
Beatles, "Yesterday"
Garth Brooks, "Friends in Low Places."
Gloria Gaynor, "I Will Survive"
Joan Jett, "I Love Rock 'N Roll"
Johnny Cash, "Ring of Fire"
Journey, "Don't Stop Believing" (Small town girl)
Queen, "We Are the Champions" or "We Will Rock You"
Smashmouth, "Allstar"
1 comment:
Rereading this post...I finally get all the inside jokes. LOL! HAHA! That's awesome! My face = no buffalo! PS> the chickens are coming for you...
Post a Comment