2012-03-22

California Girls

First, such a quick response to song requests should not be expected.
Second, this first request was for “International Love.” I took a gander at the lyrics and realized it would be tough, as it repeated itself. A lot. But I’d give it a shot. As I read through the lyrics, I realized that it objectified women. A lot. Ick, but considering it was Pit Bull featuring Chris Brown, that should have been expected.
Then I realized another big issue I have with the song: it treated sexual relationships casually. I made a personal choice a while ago to try to do what I can to cut out media with those standards. That decision is why I stopped watching shows like HIMYM and started watching shows like Castle instead. It's why I stopped listening to Meatloaf and started listening to Veggie Tales. It's why I stopped reading some book my mom gave me (I don't care to remember what it was seeing as I literally threw it across the room and verbally called it "smut") and started reading Maeve Binchey. It's why I stopped watching movies like St. Elmo's Fire and started watching movies like The Inspector General instead. Is was hard to give those things up, as they were just mostly bad, not all bad (because, well, there's only one thing you can do with all bad--take them to Half Price for loose change). If I wouldn't want my (future) kids to watch it, why should I want to watch it myself?

Whoops. Sorry about that tangental rant.

Anyway, I searched for a song that seemed to give a cleaner version of what I thought the concept of “International Love” might be and went with the Beach Boys song “California Girls.” (If you can find a better one for me, I'd love to try it!) (I just now remembered my high school creative writing teacher demonstrating to our class how music has changed over the years by singing the lyrics of "I Wanna Sex You Up" to the tune of "I Want To Hold Your Hand.")
Well East coast girls are hipTake it hip to hip rocket through the wilderness
I really dig those styles they wearAre you saying you’re trying to bury them?
And the Southern girls with the way they talk
They knock me out when I'm down there
What is it about associating violence with words?The pen is mightier than the sword, shooting the breeze, and apparently you can knock someone out just by speaking.
The Midwest farmer's daughters really make you feel alright
I got a good old friend here with me tonight, and I guess I'm a-doin' alright.
And the Northern girls with the way they kiss
They keep their boyfriends warm at night
But certainly not as warm as a Midwest farmer’s daughter with a quilt.

I wish they all could be CaliforniaHow lame would that be?
I wish they all could be California
There isn't enough land for all the girls to be California.
I wish they all could be California girlsHow culture-centric.

The West coast has the sunshineNow, do you mean “sunshine” as in “light coming from the sun,” or “sunshine” as in “the kind you find in a bag?”
And the girls all get so tanned
Fake tans: spray-on vs. lotion vs. beds
I dig a French bikini on Hawaii islandThere you go, burying stuff again.
Dolls by a palm tree in the sand
Where else would a palm tree be? On Lambeau Field?

I been all around this great big worldWas it in 80 days?
And I’ve seen all kinds of girls
So has anyone who doesn't live in a bubble.
Yeah, but I couldn't wait to get back in the StatesCountry roads, take me home, to the place I belong.
Back to the cutest girls in the worldLife in plastic, it’s fantastic!

I wish they all could be California
You mean imaginary? (In 1510, Garci Ordóñez de Montalvo published a romance in which “California” was the name of an imaginary realm)*I wish they all could be CaliforniaAgain, with the made-up stuff. (Where Montalvo got the name and what it means, if anything, is a mystery.*)
I wish they all could be California girls
But if they were, we wouldn’t have things like this. (It's seriously hilarious and also available on YouTube.)

3 comments:

Mrs. Teacher said...

I love that your teacher sang to you! Especially those two combined - hilarious. I used "to the window...to the wall!" with my juniors the other day in class ;)

Caitlin said...

Don't worry, I'm not offended that you didn't actually use my song! It really IS a terrible song, isn't it?? I get upset every time it comes on the radio.

seashmore said...

I'm glad I didn't offend you. :)