1. Say something I can connect to the Princess Bride.
All the better if you make the connection yourself. The more obscure the reference, the more of my love you'll win. I especially prefer the philosophical lines. ("I wonder if he is using the same wind we are using.") And you'll have me at your feet if you can say it with the same tone and rhythm as it appears in the movie. Anyone can say, "Won't that be nice?" but few can say it like King Lotharon.
2. Make good puns or short jokes.
When it comes to puns, the more my eyes roll, the better. I've been five-foot-even for most of my life, so if you've got a short joke I haven't heard before, you've also got yourself a new friend. (Who will get you a good coat as a precaution.) Other humor is appreciated, but these will not fail.
3. Be simple and nondiscriminate with your kindness
Most people would do anything for their friends. But how many people would do the same for someone they hardly know? Holding the door open for the person two steps behind you will make me want to walk straight into your heart.
4. Ride slow enough to talk
My biking manatra is "Sloooow Riiiide, Take it Easy." Conversations are best had on bicycles. You can talk about what's going on in life, in the world, or on the trail.
5. Being organized with your time
If you never face the opportunity of being double booked, I'm probably going to find you boring. Conversely, if you're always double booked, how can you expect me to find you?
6. Have a wide array of musical taste
I'm talking upwards of 3 genres, people. I'm especially fond when you can speak to me in song lyrics from multiple genres. It's one reason I love my roommate so much: in the course of a single conversation, we'll use lyrics from Coldplay, Eddie Money, the Eagles, and Toby Keith.
7. Share one of your passions with me
I love when people get excited about something, even if I don't care a lick about it. It's why I like going to sporting events, large or small scale. I can't remember the last time I cared who the winner of a game was, but it warms my heart to see people get excited when something goes well and it's hard for me to not be excited when someone else is.
1 comment:
I looooove Princess Bride. My husband and I quote it to each other all the time.
I heard "won't that be nice?" in the king's voice when I read your post :)
Post a Comment