2013-02-08

Everything I've Learned, I Learned from Twin Peaks

Twin Peaks is a 2-season prime time drama that aired in the early 1990's.
It is stinking ridiculous.  I haven't quite finished it, yet, but I'm a little more than halfway through.
My interest was spawned when I watched the epic Psych episode "Dual Spires."  If you've never seen Twin Peaks, that episode will seem bizarre.  If' you've seen even the pilot, you'll be laughing so hard you leak.

1. Donuts Make Everything Better
...except diabetes.  It is seriously hard to go past the bakery discount rack when keeping up on this show and not get any donuts.  Also, I had a friend who, for about a year, would eat a donut every day at 9:30 and post about it on facebook, either with a photo or video.  He's funny, and it always made my day.

2. It Takes All Kinds
Some of the characters in Twin Peaks include: a well-cultured FBI agent, a sleazy businessman, a wife beater, punk teenagers, an Aisian widow living with her lumberjack brother-in-law, a log lady, all-American teenagers, a ditzy receptionist, a level-headed diner owner, and a lady with an eye patch and an obsession with curtains.  Just to name a few.  Oh, and the ghost of a giant makes his appearance at the season one cliffhanger.

3.  There's Good and Bad Out There
The whole premise of the show is finding out who killed Laura, the small-town Homecoming Queen.  Even in uncovering the facets of the victim's life, there are good things she's done and some pretty messed up stuff she got involved with.  The sleazy businessman's daughter (who obviously has Daddy issues) becomes smitten with the FBI agent who refuses to be anything more than friends with her, even though he finds himself caring very deeply for her.

4. Never Unexpect the Unexpected
Trying not to reveal any spoilers, clues to the murder are found in a bird and a coconut.  The county judge never goes anywhere unless it's in his RV.

5. Not Everything is as it Seems
The only evidence I can provide to back this assertion that doesn't involve spoilers is that Laura is seen almost as an idol, someone for the kids to look up to.  She was destined for great things, honest, pure, on the up-and-up.  But, as the FBI agent leads the town to discover, she was also a sexual deviant heavily involved with cocaine users and dealers.

No comments: