I won't let being a victim define me.
I won't let cancer define me.
Yet we let other things we don't choose define us. Our race, our gender, our sexual preference (while I believe some people do choose their sexual preference, I believe enough people don't to make it a blanket statement).
I, for one, am not afraid to allow any traumatic experiences from my past or a chronic illness to be included in the definition of who I am. I must allow things outside of myself to define me, or else I would be nothing. For, as the saying goes, nothing comes from nothing. And I refuse to be nothing.
So, then, who am I?
I am a daughter of our Heavenly Father. I love Him, and I know He loves me as much as He does you. I have allowed that love to provide me with courage, compassion, and conviction. I am a world of contradictions: laid back and passionate, sweet and sarcastic, vacant and involved, open and reserved. I am not just one of a kind; I am one of a million kinds. As with music, so with life experiences: it is highly unlikely I will find someone who has all in common, but I can almost guarantee there is something common to be found between me and anyone.
This is why I allow my past experiences to be included in the definition of who I am. So that I can stand on that common ground with someone who has just set foot on it, or who has been wandering it alone for years.
No comments:
Post a Comment