2015-04-09

He Sent His Son

The first program song I taught on my own was He Sent His Son.  February is already a short month, and we lost a week to a snow storm.  (Which, for the record, was the most recent opportunity I had to just stay at home and not be obligated to go anywhere...)  This was one of those lucky times that there was a "Helps for the music leader" section.  One suggestion was to divide the children into two groups, with one singing the questions and one singing the answers.

For Junior Primary, I think I sang through the song once to make sure everyone was familiar with it and then split the  room in half.  The way the chairs were set up made it easy to do that.  I helped one half sing the questions and the other half sing the answers.

I kicked it up a notch for Senior Primary.  I happened to have some heart shaped pieces of paper left over from door decorations as a resident assistant in the dorms, and had just enough for all the questions and answers.  Since I was under the impression that they were already at least familiar with the song, I wrote each question from the song on a heart and then the song's answer on another, with a related scripture on the other side.  I put them in two columns on the board, in no particular order, for a matching game.  When a match was made, we would sing those lines and the child would look up and read the scripture to us.

Questions
How could the Father tell the world of love and tenderness?
How could the Father show the world the pathway we should go?
How could the Father tell the world of sacrifice, of death?
What does the Father ask of us?  What do the scriptures say?
What does he ask?

Answers
He sent his Son, a newborn babe, with peace and holiness.
He sent his Son to walk with men on earth, that we may know.
He sent his Son to die for us and rise with living breath.
Have faith, have hope, live like his Son, help others on their way.
Live like his Son.

Scriptures
Luke 2:6-7
Matt. 19:1
Mark 16:5-6
Alma 7:24
Matt. 5:48 and 3 Ne. 12:48 (We were running short on time, so we only read one. I had planned on reading both  and discussing the difference between the two being that the Savior didn't consider himself perfect until after he was resurrected, which is also when we will acheiive perfection, but we should still live as he did while on this earth.)

No comments: