Rob Thomas was on Ellen sometime in the last week or so, promoting his new song. And it was almost a religious experience for me, in that it awoke in me a kind of revival. So often, I forget how much I love his music. But, it reminded me of the same kinds of things that I was reminded of the week that I was home sick. That, and the rearranging of our stake and ward boundaries just before General Conference and KC's being fired have all fueled my fire to increase the fervor of my search to leave my current job. The culture of it is confining.
At first, I was considering the zoo. It's a great place to be, I can't imagine that it would be any less pleasant to work there than anywhere. They have concession stands, gift shops, and member services. Also, their busy and slow seasons match mine. I would come across a greater variety of people in a way that would allow me to get to know them. Free zoo membership. The only drawbacks were difficult to take time off for nice weather vacations and the only positions they were hiring were part time, which means not qualifying for benefits.
I have been talking it over with HMN and new HMA. HMN directed me to a couple of positions she found on a website I don't usually go to for results. I feel I get good enough results with career link, monster emails, and personal networking. But on there was a job for an optical receptionist. I never thought I would enjoy that specifically, but I've realized there are a lot of things that I miss about it. Sure, a lot of the skills are transferable to other medical reception, but that scripture quote on the wall of my last office keeps at me. "The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light." It's why I'm going back there for my eye exam. It may or may not be for the last time. I mean, if I start working for another one, why would I go back? That will remain to be seen. I might choose to go there for my exam and contacts, and maybe use the new one for glasses.
Here I am, talking as though I have the job, and I haven't even done a quarter of the work to apply for it. I really ought to get on that, though. Scheduling interviews could be tough. I work until 4:15 this week and have late shift next. I could pull off a Wednesday or Thursday morning of that week if nothing gets scheduled this week. Although, the week after I should be off at 4:15 again because by then B and I will be back to trading late weeks. We have a new girl starting, and she may or may not be ready to do a solo late week. Having been briefed on her work history, I won't be surprised if she's ready to shadow B the next time it's her late week.
No comments:
Post a Comment