There's really no real reason why today's the day I express these thoughts...
I've heard a lot of people say when bearing their testimony that they don't know where they'd be without the gospel in their lives. My internal response is almost always, "Well, I know where I'd be without it." I'd have finished school (most likely in Wisconsin), gone back home, maybe moved to Madison with my sister and gotten a job involving something literary, possibly making sandwiches on the side. I'd have consumer debt, maybe not a car payment. I'd go out to bars on the weekends with family and family friends. I'd probably go out for drinks after curling on Tuesday night league. Not being irresponsible about my drinking, but still getting hammered every blue moon. I'd be letting my mom, aunt, and sister set me up with people they know. I might even have been a karaoke star like my cousin. Maybe I'd be going to church on Sundays, maybe not. I certainly wouldn't be getting any church outside the chapel, that's for sure. No activities, no Institute, no temple.
I'd be reading the Onion instead of the scriptures. Maybe I'd be going down to Milwaukee to watch Lee's comedy shows. I'd probably be a groupie for Pine. If I lived in Madison, I might have had have a favorite coffee shop on State Street. Probably Michaelangelo's. There would be poetry readings you could find me at.
I wouldn't have failed or gone delinquent by the world's standards. I might even have been successful by those standards. But I'd be spiritually remote, out of touch. I'd be gliding along through life, not even being able to glimpse a fulness of joy. I'd probably be enjoying myself and still finding the bright side to most things. I'd still love my family and those around me. But I don't think I'd love them as much.
If Elder Baker, Elder Davis and E.J. hadn't come over that afternoon almost 3 years ago, I know exactly where I'd be. And knowing that keeps me where I am today.
No comments:
Post a Comment