2012-06-07

Points In My Life

A comment made on my last post got me wondering about how I learned to call it a "trailer court" instead of a "trailer park."

My best answer is that I kinda-sorta lived (stayed) in one while I was in high school.  At least, every other weekend and occassional weeknights in the summer once I could drive.  While I wish I could tell you it wasn't like that, I can't. 

The trailer that overlooked the entire park (and practically the entire town) happened to be well-kept and also happened to be the one my dad bought with his girlfriend-at-the-time.  My dad moved in with her and her 3 children under 10 (2 different fathers).  It had 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.  So, a bedroom/bathroom for the adults to share, a bedroom for the boys, a bedroom for the girls and a bathroom for everyone.  My sister and I were part-time trailer dwellers, so we'd either sleep in the "girls" room or crash on the couch. 

They lived there a year or so before my little sister was born in July.  For New Year's, her mom wanted to go out; her brother was having some people over so she went down to the other end of the trailer court.  My dad stayed home with her 4 kids.  (My sister and I were with our mom.)  I don't know for sure what time he decided she had been gone long enough (or maybe one of the kids was asking for her), but he walked the 6 blocks to get her.  She wasn't expecting him, which explains why she got caught making out with some married guy when he walked in. 

And that's not even going into the drama with the lady who lived on the corner who was always trying to hit on my dad, even though she was an overly-tanned, unmarried grandmother before 40.  Or the single mom who lived next to her who never seemed to be sober.  Or my dad's girlfriend's best friend who lived down the street who got mad at my dad over the breakup until her oldest son moved back in during high school and looked to my dad as a father figure.  Or the trailer across the street who were doing, if not dealing, prescription meds off the black market.

So, I lived in a Points System for a while. 
I also watched YouTube videos of Billy Ray Cyrus last night with my roommate.  The one of him and Miley on a Spanish tv show is not as entertaining as you'd think.  But some of the original performances were hysterical.  Seriously.

No comments: