2012-10-09

Restored Faith in Facebook

As I was perusing the guest list of an event on facebook, I noticed that someone I had been facebook friends with had the "Add Friend" button next to their name.  Initially confused, I clicked to their home page to see if they had been hacked or done a friend purge.  Generally, I'm not bothered when I'm a part of a friend purge.  I understand it happens and I usually don't notice.  But this was not part of a friend purge; this was intentional.  I know this because I checked our mutual friends and saw folks on there who I know don't even talk with this person. 

The reason this one bothered me is because I thought this person had been a better friend of mine than that. (No, seriously.  Read the link.  That's why I left it blue and not something that makes it like an easter egg.)   Having moved from confused to confounded to hurt, I explained the situation to my roommate (whose computer I was borrowing to watch a video someone had posted) and she didn't get it, either.  What hurts the most is not so much that I've lost a friend or even that they've lost a friend.  It's that, if I did something to offend them and they choose to cut me out rather than forgive me (or even talk to me about it--it could be a misunderstanding) it robs them of some great blessings.  It feels so good to forgive someone, it really does. 
Which is why, when the time is right, I'll ask them about it.  I'll ask them for the chance to let me apologise for whatever I did or said.

As we started our evening's walk, she realised she left her phone inside.  I asked if she wanted to go get it; she declined.  "It's not like anyone's going to call me, anyway."  We walked and talked and tried to figure out what I could possibly have done to get intentionally defriended by this person.  What was it I might need to apologise for?  Got a couple, "Well, maybe..."'s, but nothing concrete.

We returned and watched Castle before she got on facebook.  Her sister posted a picture like this
My roommate, unable to figure out why, turned the laptop screen towards me and asked my opinion.  "Why would she post a picture of a hot dog bun in--"

THERE'S A BUN IN THE OVEN!  THERE'S A BUN IN THE OVEN!  THERE'S A BUN IN THE OVEN!

I couldn't help but laugh.  And then mess with our mutual friends (we've got a couple who seem to comment on our every facebook move) by posting the quote on her facebook wall.  Because there's nothing funnier than making a public reference to an inside joke.

I did this after I helped her find her phone so she could call her sister.  She was pleased to see that her sister had tried calling before she posted.  It restored my faith in the goodness that facebook can bring to our lives in the same way this blog post restored my faith in friendship.  (Seriously, I told you to read it.)

No comments: