2012-12-27

Let's Rock, Folk!

As of late (about the last 6 months or so) I've been listening to a lot of folk rock. 
Artists from the genre a radio junkie might be familiar with:

CCR
Crosby, Stills, & Nash
Jim Croce
Dropkick Murphys
Flogging Molly
The Mamas & The Papas
Mumford & Sons
Peter, Paul & Mary
Simon & Garfunkel

Lest I forget, wikipedia considers Mark Knopfler, genius behind the Princess Bride soundtrack, to be a folk rock artist.

The binges I go on are mostly Jim Croce, some of Nightwish's songs ("The Islander" and I'd classify some of the songs from the Imaginaerum album based on content, but I might be alone in that), and Great Big Sea.  Some of the folk rock I like is more folk-based, some of it's more rock-based, but GBS is folk that "manages to weave in Celtic-Canadian sounds with convincing enthusiasm." (credit)  Seriously, check them out.  They did a great cover of Pete Townshend's "Let My Love Open the Door."  Like a good movie, XX can make you laugh, cry, and bond with entertainment.

To taste, I present to you...........
Consequence Free

Wouldn’t it be great, if no one ever got offended
Sure would.  Just ask David Bendar
Wouldn’t it be great to say what’s really on your mind
 I have always said ‘all the rules are made for bending’
Bending, but never breaking.
And if I let my hair down, would that be such a crime?
Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair!
I wanna be consequence free
I wanna be where nothing needs to matter
Nothing really matters, anyone can see.
I wanna be consequence free just sing
Na Na Na Na Na Ne Na Na Na
Hey, Hey, Goodbye

I could really use to lose my Catholic conscience
Cuz I’m getting sick of feeling guilty all the time
Uh, so repent.
I won’t abuse it, yeah I’ve got the best intentions
"Your intentions are good, but you're stupid." (Quoting a friend, here, folks.)
For a little bit of anarchy but not the hurting kind
Say, it was horrible.  Anarchy--that I run! 
I wanna be consequence free
I wanna be where nothing needs to matter
Nothing really matters to meeeeeee.
I wanna be consequence free just sing
Na Na Na Na Na Ne Na Na Na

I couldn’t sleep at all last night
Cause I had so much on my mind
You were always on my mind.
I’d like to leave it all behind,
But you know it’s not that easy
Easy like Sunday morning.
I wanna be consequence free
I wanna be where nothing needs to matter
A body of matter cannot disappear completely 
I wanna be consequence free just sing
Na Na Na Na Na Ne Na Na Na

Wouldn’t it be great, if the band just never ended
After twenty years together, I'd say you guys are doing pretty darn good.
We could stay out late and we would never hear last call
Oh, but then I'd never have heard of Kylesa or any of the other cool stuff I've learned watching Carson Daly.
We wouldn’t need to worry about approval or permission, we could —
We're not asking for your permission, only your blessing.  (Name that musical.) 
Slip off the edge and never worry about the fall
Yeah, Catholics do tend to worry a lot about the Fall. 

I wanna be consequence free
I wanna be where nothing needs to matter
I wanna be consequence free just sing
Na Na Na Na Na Ne Na Na Na

P.S. since this makes an even 65 entries for the year, you probably won't get anything until 2013: Year of Rote Memorization 

No comments: