Not long ago, I told my dad I felt like I had been choosing all the wrong lines lately. He said it's a family trait.
This is an extreme, but true, example:
My roommate and I went to Target. As we approached the checkout lanes, she chose one and then I got behind her. She thought it would be a better idea to split up, so she got into the lane next to me. Just as I finished unloading my basket on the end of the belt, they announce they're opening another checkout three lanes down. My roommate was up next in her line, but told me I should go for it. I felt that by the time I put everything back in my basket and walked to that one, I may as well have stayed where I was. So I stayed.
It was the wrong line. They ended up with $200+ of items and used at least 5 coupons.
I seem to be noticing more occurrences lately. And it's not just at the grocery store, either. I get in the wrong lane of traffic, end up getting snubbed by the elevator, sardined into my parking stall. I hate waiting. (PBQ) You get the picture.
Last week I visited a couple of shops. The two stores were about a block or two apart, so I parked between them and walked, as it wasn't that cold out. I totally got in the wrong lane at the first store. They called another cashier and I watched three people leave who came to the registers after I had.
The second store wasn't much better. I got in what I thought would be a good line, but, nope. The young couple asked to have their items double bagged as they would be walking home. The cashier didn't grasp the concept. Instead of filling a bag and then placing it inside a second one, she would put an item in a bag, wrap it up and fill a bag that way. Not only was it wrong, it took longer.
As I walked out, I saw them standing over their cart near the door. They had taken the time to rebag everything appropriately, and I asked how far they had to walk. It was about half a mile, and neither one of them had a coat. (Long sleeves, but no coat.) I asked them if they would like a ride. They accepted with much gratitude. Even after I told them I had parked about a block away in another parking lot. We talked, and I learned they had pretty much had a rotten day. Which explains why they seemed esepecially grateful. I had to laugh when the guy said, "I can tell you're not from around here because you're nice."
I cannot believe how grateful they were. It made me feel really good for doing it, and I needed desperately to feel good about something.
So maybe it wasn't the wrong line, after all.
What about you? Any stories of thinking you made the wrong choice, but it turned out to be just what you (or someone else) needed?
2 comments:
I always always seem to get in the wrong line of traffic. It sucks watching other cars blaze by while I'm stuck sitting still.
That story had a great ending! I also seem to always pick the wrong line at the grocery store. I used to get fuming mad and curse the customers ahead of me for their many items or the slow cashier. But seeing as how that does no good I know just breath very deeply and practice my patience. And boy, is it GREAT practice!
Post a Comment