2013-01-09

Everything I Learned, I Learned from Wedding Receptions

Many of these lessons are a by-product of 2010: Year of the Newlywed.

1. Traditions are Better with Meaning
I still can't stand "All the Single Ladies."  It seriously makes me wonder what people played at the boquet toss before that song came out.  (Or was it just the sound of desperation?)  Not only that, but I can't remember the last time I saw/heard someone catch a boquet and then actually be the next person to get married.  And what is the point of the garter toss?  Anyone?  Seriously, if I wanted to watch things like a man putting his head up a woman's dress, I'd pay for cable.
Another wedding tradition: cake cutting.  It's well-known amongst my associates that I'm in the process of developing a theory that the way in which a couple cuts their cake is indicative of their relationship/personality as a couple.  The best example is this: after describing one cutting as "Clean, but fun," I realized that same description fit the couple.  This tradition is one of my favorites because it has meaning for me.

2. Being Single Doesn't Have to Mean Being Bitter
I went to ~10 weddings and/or receptions in 2010, and at least as many since then.  I haven't had a date to any of them.  It wasn't easy to block the bitterness.  One thing that helped me was the aforementioned theory.  It took all focus away from myself.  Even if your purpose for arrival is to show your support, it's still about you.  You going to show your support, to have good times with your friends.  (Although I must admit, I'm starting to get self-centered at receptions again; it's all about my theory.)
I was given a blessing once that promised I would enjoy marriage and family in this lifetime.  First interpretation being that I'll get married and have babies, right?  Probably true.  But being the wordsmith that I am, I began to look at alternate interpretations when it became apparent that wasn't likely to happen soon.  The blessing didn't say I'd enjoy my marriage in this lifetime, did it?  No.  Maybe that's what 2010 was supposed to do for me: help me enjoy marriage in general.

3. Don't Forget About Your Friends
One of the biggest differences between an LDS and non-Mormon wedding reception is a grand march.  One of my hobbies in 2010 was photographing table favors while waiting for the bridal party to arrive at the reception.  Not even kidding.  There was at least one, if not two, receptions, where I took more pictures of those than the wedding party.  It kept me entertained and out of mischief.  So if there's going to be a fair amount of "unstructured time" without music, your friends will appreciate some awesome table decorations. 
Those flat marble thingies come highly reccomended.

4. Music Makes the World Go 'Round
Musical selection is very important at a reception, as it sets the tone.  There's the typical DJ, which will play standards like the Chicken Dance, Cotton-Eyed Joe, and some mushy slow-songs.  You'll get sparse participation at first, but dancing will increase as more as people loosen up (with or without the help of alcohol).  This is a good option if you're looking for classics like the Dollar Dance, First Dance, Parent's Dance, and the Anniversary Dance.  Some musical alternatives I've seen: string and barbershop quartets, a sax playing jazz, and a piano.  If you aren't going to have music, make sure there is plenty of room to mingle. 

5. Things Are Not Always as They Seem
Again, with the cakes!  A wedding cake will either be commissioned or made in Mom's kitchen.  The latter are the best.  Seriously, of all the wedding cakes I've tried, two were memorable for their taste.  The one was made by the bride's mother and the other was made by the groom's mother (or maybe it was an aunt, I don't quite remember, but it was someone in the family).

No comments: