I'm supposed to be moving. All that is in my apartment with me is my laptop, some paper towels, trash bags and cleaning supplies, and a couple of things I'll throw away on my way out.
And a twin bed frame that I cannot give away and I cannot take with me.
It has been a boon to me for two years already. When I moved to this apartment four years ago, I sold my full size mattress and box spring because it wouldn't fit in my room with my dressers. I literally slept on the floor for two years. When my family heard of my situation, they pitched in to help me purchase a bed. Someone from church posted they had a sleep number bed for sale for $400. My parents each gave me $100, my adult sister gave me $100, I put in $100 and we called it an early birthday present. Less than two months after I bought it, I noticed it wasn't holding air. I had never owned a sleep number before, so didn't know I shouldn't have to give it a couple of clicks every night. It started losing so much air that it would hurt my back by the morning. Then the motor for the air pump stopped working. Completely. I tried taking it to the sleep number store 90 miles away to see if I could purchase a replacement. Apparently, that's not possible.
So I tore the mattress and foam off, put it in my front closet (where it sat until last week) and layered all of my blankets on top of the mattress pad. I slept either on that, the floor, or my couch for at least four months. All the while regretting how much money I had wasted. It was a tangible regret that I didn't know how to get rid of.
Now, I still don't know how to get rid of it. The people that sold it to me came over and put it together for me and now I don't know how to take it apart. I've posted it to the facebook marketplace with "Free, needs to be gone today" had a couple of people ask if it's available and one guy would have taken it, but didn't realize how far away my town was from his. He apologized and said that if no one else had claimed it, he could come get it tonight at 11:30.
My landlord has been excellent to me, and I already feel bad about leaving the apartment dusty with a few damages to the walls. If they hadn't been so good to me, if they were in good health, if there wasn't a $600 deposit on the line, I would honestly just leave it behind. They asked that I leave the apartment unlocked so the carpet cleaners can come tomorrow, and I'm just wondering what would happen if I tell the random stranger on the internet that the door is unlocked and he can come get the bed frame. Will he flake out like half of the other people who have responded to my Marketplace postings?
I just want to be done and gone with this place so I can get on with my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment