Yes, yes I am.
I know I just posted last night/early this morning, but I've come to recognize that I have killed the true creative in me. In 10th grade, we took one of those career aptitude tests that supposedly gives you a list of careers that will work well with your personality and preferences. I forget exactly what it was called or how it worked, other than my results came back with a cover page that essentially said, "We normally use two letters to match you with jobs in categories, but your two letter combo didn't provide very many, so here are some three letter ones for you."
Talk about decision anxiety.
I can't decide if I'll be happy anywhere or miserable anywhere, and honestly that might depend on the season. Like, I'll be happy anywhere in summer and miserable in any career in winter.
But I do know the creative in me has died.
I wrote so much in high school and a bit in college, and I loved it. Did a little bit afterwards, too, but when my life lost a lot of stability, I tore away from it. The writing. I picked up crochet, which I love, don't get me wrong, and it allows me to be creative in different ways than writing does, but writing is where my true calling is. I cannot deny that, and I cannot continue a career path that steals that away from me. Which, honestly, even though I love being a receptionist (welcoming people is so great for me, and doctors are almost always fascinating creatures), the full time schedule I am carrying on now just doesn't vibe.
My current, newer-than-last-night plan of action is to continue with searching for PT work with benefits (employer health ins). I really ought to shop around for self purchase insurance, too. Which might be easier with a steady paycheck. Anyway, if the search doesn't quite pan out, I'm going to talk to the manager and see if she wants to see how the doc feels about my working just the differential shifts every week. i.e., I'll come in at 4:15 and close the evening clinics and work every Saturday morning. I'll even do it at a regular hourly wage if they don't want to pay the differential. Because seeing the PA would still be included in my benefits, and honestly, our self pay prices are pretty reasonable.
Off to update the resume and then the writing blog, to prove to myself I'm more dedicated to that.
Edit: I updated the resume and screened last night's careerlink saved searches down to two worth applying for. Will do that the next go round with the laptop.
No comments:
Post a Comment