2019-01-16

How's the Sickee?

My whole life, I get sick about once every three years, if that.  This week marks the third time in the past three years that I've been sick.  (Four if you count the time I ate half a bag of dark chocolate Hershey kisses and then cried/sobbed/melted down so hard I threw up.)

This bout of congestion is paired with a random pain in the arm.  Not related, just concurrent.  Friday night I took my hand at pebbling the ice for my arena curling league for the first time ever.  It involved a lot of sweeping motions with a heavy wand that sprays water in front of you.  I went to work Saturday morning, ran some errands, came home, took a nap, and woke up with my disabling pain in my right arm.  It hurt so bad that I couldn't even force myself to extend it out all the way. 

At first, I thought maybe I overused it on Friday night, but quickly realized that if that had been the case, I'd have said something to the doctor Saturday morning, snow or no snow.  As I told our PA, if I didn't work for a doctor I knew could see me sometime Monday morning, I'd have gone into an urgent care on Sunday.  I thought I maybe pulled my bicep, but it hurt in my forearm, too.  She said she was getting an inkling that it would require more than just shoving some drugs at me, that she'd have to dig deeper to figure out what was going on, but that she was suspecting I had irritated a nerve while napping.  (I woke up with my arm under my head.)  In the meantime, she ok'd me to take two Advil morning, noon, and night for 3-5 days. 

The reason I hadn't taken anything for the pain prior was because I was already taking a decongestant and didn't want to mix and match without consultation.  So, the arm was the reason I went in to work Monday morning, but the reason I stayed was because one of the girls called out with a migraine.  I only stayed half a day, though, since the two girls left up front with me were hypercritical of my congestion (and coughing fits).  So I left at lunch and called in yesterday.  I'll probably call in tomorrow, too.  Which sucks because I used up one of my nine annual occurrences last week for a mental health/slight nausea day.  This paycheck is going to be lean, that's for sure. 

Which actually might work out well in my favor.  See, I did some soul scratching in the temple tonight.  I'm too depressed to trust any deep soul searching, but came to the conclusions that the Lord wants me to be working towards becoming a good wife and an author.  Those are skills that He has given me (with the proper companion) and my current employment situation is not really allowing me to grow in those capacities.  I decided to stick with where I am now, but look for something PT with benefits (I have to keep reminding myself that the chiropractor receptionist job required evening hours, which would have prevented my working as a temple ordinance worker).  My current laptop dies after an hour unplugged, and I've retrained myself that it's ok to type with it in my lap, which means I can easier force myself to write an hour a day.  Or at least an hour at a time when I'm not working FT.

My 90 day review is coming up, and I have to keep reminding myself that it's not just a review of how much the company likes me, but how much I like the company.  I also know that the head of the practice often takes two week notices as last day notices.  Basically tells people they don't need to bother coming in those two weeks, since it takes longer than that to find and train someone, anyway.  At least, that's what I've heard.  I'll find out when that time comes.  Because I expect that it will.  And when they ask why, I'll tell them that I found the attitude of my department to be incompatible with what I need.  All of the other front desk staff are gossipy, close minded, and back biting.

I already have a few leads.  I'm going to call in tomorrow, update my resume, and start sending it out.  Which means I should probably clean out my voicemails.  I'm awful about that.

No comments: