Best story ever. Unless I am wrong, (and I'm never wrong) both the book and the movie are fabulous. Let's just say...there are certain lines from this movie that will guarantee my acceptance of a marriage proposal. (And it isn't "As you wish," either.)
I could go through, scene by scene, and point out the lesson I've learned from each of them, but there is too much, let me sum up. Plus, I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to blame for it. I'm swamped.
1. Nothing is impossibleUpon entering the Fire Swamp, Buttercup says, "We’ll never survive."
Westley says, "Nonsense; you’re only saying that because no one ever has."
2. People can change—in the course of a day.
Little Billy interrupts his grandfather’s reading in the beginning by questioning, with all the disdain of a ten-year-old boy, “Is this a kissing book?”
Wise old Grandpa says, “Someday, you might not mind so much.”
By the end of the afternoon, Billy is okay with hearing about the kiss that left them all behind.
3. True Love Conquers All
Westley says, "Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it a little while."
The woman who refused to bow down to Queen Buttercup touts, "True Love saved her in the Fire Swamp!"
Not to mention True Love is what keeps Westley alive after Humperdink kills him. And this isn't explicit, but I think it's safe to say that Inigo's pure love for his father plays a hand in his being guided to the man in black.
4. Life is Unfair
Westley, "Life is unfair, your highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Grandpa, "Who says life is fair? Where is that written?"
5. Things Are Not Always as They Appear
Westley, "R.O.U.S.'s? Rodents of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist." ~RAWR!!~
Miracle Max, "It just so happens that your friend here is only mostly dead....Mostly dead is slightly alive."
And need I remind you about the real Dread Pirate Roberts (who, incidentally, is retired and living like a king in Patagonia)? Or that both cups were poisoned? Or that neither of the swordsmen were left handed? Or that Buttercup does not get eaten by the eels?
All right, I think we've had enough for today. I can tell what you're thinking. "Yes, you're very smart. Shut up."
1 comment:
You are so cute. Great post. - sav
Post a Comment