2011-10-05

I Don't Wanna Grow Up

I went to see Carhenge in Alliance, Nebraska, taking I-80 most of the way. It's about 10,000 people, so it's comparable in size to the city I grew up in. Which makes it a big city or a little town depending on your perspective. Then I swung up into Wyoming (I wanted to see something at least resembling mountains that weekend) and came back on Highway 20. I refer to my trip as my 2011 Nebraskan Birthday Tour. I even went all-out roadie and slept in my car Saturday and Sunday nights. (If I put my seats down and sleep with my head in the trunk, it's actually quite comfortable. I had been tempted to put my bike in there, in part in case I had time and place to ride, and in part to legitimately say I slept with my bike, but ultimately decided against it.)

Anyway, there's a branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that meets in Alliance at 10 (no matter what the website says about things starting at 9) and I'd be there on Sunday, so that's where I renewed my baptismal covenants that week. And sat in on their Sunday School and Relief Society lessons, too.

When the Sunday School teacher asked how the Jews felt when Paul revealed there need be no more circumcision, one of the local ranchers (who, in my memory, is easier to picture in jeans and a cowboy hat even though I've only seen him in black slacks and a white dress shirt) piped up with, "They were pretty pissed."

A little old lady, there serving a mission with her husband, politely informed him from across the room, "We don't say that."

Almost shrinking into the corner like a 6-year-old who had been scolded by their grandmother for coloring on the walls, the rancher corrected himself and said, "Sorry. They were PO'd."

No comments: